Noise Problems

soldierone

the future is amazing...
In the last day or so, I've started running into some issues with noise when recording. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 with the latest release of Reaper, and an M-Audio 1010LT. The problem doesn't seem to be audible while I'm recording, but when I playback the audio, I get a nasty electrical sounding distortion in random places. I've tried different settings, different volumes, cables, inputs, even different hard drives. I'm not really sure what's causing it. I've posted an example of the output here:

http://www.alternativeexplosion.com/FooWa.wav

Any ideas? I'm lost.

(It also seems that this problem is only occurring in Reaper... I'm using the 32 bit version, as it's the only one I can find that will work with my VSTs.)

I've tested the issue by recording a few tracks into Sound Forge... they come out clean. :/

Did you add any plugins recently? I had this problem when I purchased a version of Cakewalk Studio Instruments and found that particular version didn't like 64 bit or Reaper. Removing that plugin completely cured the problem. But during that period I did a LOT of research here and online. The bad news is that there are about a million different things that can cause a similar problem so tracking them down can be problematic. Chili will no doubt (hopefully)come along with better and more technical advice than I can give you, though.

No. I've got a pretty solid list of plug-ins that I keep around for their reliability. I never had much luck with 64bit Reaper either. Most of my plug-ins would only work in the 32bit version, so I stuck with that when I set it up in Windows 7.

I did however find out that the problem isn't with Reaper, but with the new M-Audio drivers for my 1010LT. After looking around on their boards, contacting their tech support and all that good stuff, I'm finding that there's a lot of pissed off people with the same basic issue, and it doesn't look like M-Audio has any plans to fix their drivers any time soon.

My solution was to reinstall my Windows XP partition, and use the 2004 driver that came with the card. I've never had a single problem with the old driver, so I'm going to stick with that until I can find a working driver for Windows 7.

None such problems here with Delta 1010lt or 1010, but I've been using the 64-bit Reaper. No problems with either the latest Windows 7 drivers or the Vista 64-bit drivers installed in compatibility mode.

Back