noise noise noise noise noise

mojoshmoe

I run vocals through a Behringer mixer into a digital eight-track. Although, with the help of a new mic, I have eliminated a lot of noise, I can't seem to get rid of all the minute hums and buzzes. Is there a piece of gear that was created for this problem? How do professionals get clear sounds without sacrificing gain levels?

I'm no professional by far, but I'll give you my 2 cents anyway. Obviously your goal is to try to find out if there is a source for the hums and buzzes.

A lot of times we don't hear things in the room until they're recorded, so make sure absolutely everything is unplugged/turned off before you record. That is where the majority of all noises come from. I don't think that's what you're talking about though. You said you purchased a new mic (always state what kind of mic), and it helped out, so for the sake of ease & practicality, let's rule that out. Next step would be to bypass the mixer and plug directly into the 8-track recorder, making sure your connections are solid. There are three possible outcomes:

1. If you still get some humming, but less, it is most likely your cable. The obvious thing to do in that case would be to upgrade/replace your cable (cable is often overlooked but can make a HUGE difference). This is also one of the cheapest things you could take a "chance" on to reduce humming.

2. If you get no humming at all, it may be your mixer. It could still be your cable, though. First thing to do would to make absolutely sure your mixer settings and connections are correct & solid. Next, replace the cable. If that still doesn't fix it then take your mixer in to a professional.

3. If you get the same amount of humming, don't frat it could be the cable (yet again). It could also be your recorder, which I doubt.

I'm betting on the cable, but don't take my word for it. As long as you follow the age-old process of elimination you'll be sure to isolate the problem. Have fun.

great post and reply...just what I needed to hear although I hate to admit just good ole common sense!

Also, your sound to noise ratio on the digital 8 track may be better then the mixers....

But hums usually mean a bad connections somewhere...also could be interference.

Ed

Yo MO:

Carvin also makes an 8 plug, [four are spaced for wart plugs] voltage box. It is supposed to contain a line filter that helps reduce noise coming in on the line. Cost is around 149 dollars.

But, from reading the posts, I think all the bases are covered and I suspect you have a bad connection somewhere, one that might pop off and on during a recording? So, check your wires. I think you might get a better signal, a clearer one, if you record direct to the digital recorder.

Look and find.

Green Hornet

I doubt that the recorder or the multitrack are to blame. Both are quiet. One question though? Is is a strong highs hum? Like a hiss that lends to some high mids?
Sometimes even though these mixers are quiet, and they have head room, the input pads or trim controls get noisy after about the 2:00 position. Is it possible you are driving them too hard?
Are you operating a guitar near a computer screen? That's a no no.
You may also have a ground loop. This is a loop from the ground wires in your power bars and the plug and wire in the wall. The best way to avoid this is to make sure all things in the studio are wired to the same electrical circuit breaker. Unless of course youare running more than 1440 watts. Then make sure they are at least on the same buss side on the panel.

I too wore the tools. This however is not line voltage house grounding as such, but magnetic fields within the power bars and among multible audio units. No not polarity.
Rather than play a long story, those who are interested, I just found this site to prove my answer. I have been recording both analog and now digital now for 20 years, and discovered this by process of elimination.
Check it out if you have doubts www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/doc/groundloops/home_solving.html
Let me know what you think. I'm surprised you have never heard of this being a sparky.

Sorry MOJOshmoe. One last recommendation.
Put the phones on. Can you hear it? Then unplug each peace of gear one at a time till it shows up. Possible that it could be the culprit.

Thanks everybody.
Most of the time the sound only shows up after I have recorded something. When I play it back, it sounds as if I recorded it at a low level and then turn my phones volume, but that's not what I'm doing. ?

Back