Noise Issues-Phantom Power Question

mariosapm

Hello guys.

How much noise is too much noise coming from the mixer? I am referring to hiss. I have some hiss when I record instruments like acoustic guitar that require more mic gain and level. (as opposed to recording guitar amps).

My second question is about the 23v power supply of my 1002b mixer. Is it enough to power my B2 pro Behringer mic? The mic works but I am not sure if it is working properly.

Hello guys.

How much noise is too much noise coming from the mixer? I am referring to hiss. I have some hiss when I record instruments like acoustic guitar that require more mic gain and level. (as opposed to recording guitar amps).

My second question is about the 23v power supply of my 1002b mixer. Is it enough to power my B2 pro Behringer mic? The mic works but I am not sure if it is working properly.

Even though you can hear the hiss, does the hiss get recorded? I ask because the hiss could be coming from the monitor amplifiers and not the mic. Also, if your gain is that high, you could always turn it down to remove the hiss and then do this gains on the digital side (assuming you are doing digital recording).

It seems many people want to make up the gain on the source side when really you are better off to raise the gain in the DAW. If you are having trouble hearing your vocals, turn the other parts of the mix down, turn the master up or turn up the monitors. Just don't try to make it all up on the source side. Source side you just want a clean signal in, it doesn't have to be at full gain.

That would be my first suggestion.

Is this a Behringer mixer (not sure what '1002b' might be)? I've found that their mic preamps ARE noisy. Keep the gain down to lower the noise level.
Also not sure what you mean by the '23v power supply' of yoru mixer. Most mics require 48v phantom power, but it is very low power (amps) requirement so even 5V USB can supply sufficient phantom power.

It seems many people want to make up the gain on the source side when really you are better off to raise the gain in the DAW. If you are having trouble hearing your vocals, turn the other parts of the mix down, turn the master up or turn up the monitors. Just don't try to make it all up on the source side. Source side you just want a clean signal in, it doesn't have to be at full gain.
This is a decent point to consider, especially when recording at 24bit, but you have to be careful. There are several things to consider:

1) There is noise entering the system before the mic pre/mixer. The ambient (acoustic) room noise, the microphone's self-noise, and any noise picked up in the cable will be at a given level relative to the signal no matter where the downstream gain comes from. The only way to change this is basically to make the desired signal louder at the mic itself.

B) All mic pre circuits have a basic noise floor. They will add some minimum amount of noise even with gain all the way down. Sometimes this is loud enough to mask any noise that the gain circuit might add, to where you are actually better off adding gain to get your signal back some of its dynamic range before you go to digital. Some preamps are actually worse in terms of S/N ratio at the bottom side of their gain knobs.

III) The noise floor in the digital world is extremely low, but it does exist, and it does come up even when you add digital gain. Digital gain is clean in that it is (can be) exactly linear. It is quiet in that the code that applies the gain doesn't add any of its own noise. But even when your noise floor is at -144dbfs, if your signal is peaking at -60db, you've only really got 84db of range there.

The point being that if you really want the best performance out of your system, you have to test your system.

Anyway, the number one thing that is guaranfuckingteed to improve your S/N ratio is to make the S louder at the diaphragm. Turn the amp up or sing louder or move the mic closer. That always helps.

If noise is a problem using a condesner mic on an acoustic guitar:
1. The mic is too far away
2. the guitar is cheap and insanely quiet
3. The mic isn't acting right
4. you are trying to get really high recording levels

Most of the time, the noise a mic preamp has goes up and down with the amount of gain. So turning it down, then turning it up in the daw will still end up with the same-ish amount of noise.
However, some cheaper preamps do create a ton more noise after about 3/4 of the way up. Which might be your problem. But if that is the case, there is one of the things above going on.

Thanks for the replies.

A couple of questions. Do I need to reach the red led levels to know that I have a loud enough signal?

My condenser mic sounds lower in volume than my dynamic under same conditions. Is that normal?

The noise comes strictly from the mixer. I removed the cables and experimented. It just comes when the levels and gain from the main and channel faders goes at a louder level.

The average meat of the signal level shoud be about half way up the meter witha little bouncing above that. No need to get within 6db of the top.

The condenser mic should be much louder than the dynamic. If it is much quieter, the phantom power is the issue. If you got a new cable, either the mixers phantom is broken, or the mic is broken.

If you didnt get a new cable, get one. Without the new cable, you are just hooking together three pieces of equipment suspected of being broken. You have to test/replace eack one until you find the problem. The cable is the cheapest thing.

If you could take your mic to a friend with a mixer and test it, that would be awesome. If the same friend has a condesner and a mic cable, you could figure this out in 5 minutes...

If you have the gain cranked up past about 3/4, that board will be noisey. With a condesner, you shouldn't have to crank it that much unless you are trying to record something very quiet from 100 yards away.

Don't take offense, but the question has not been asked:

Are you pointing the B2 labeled-side/ pattern switch-side of the mic toward the source?

I ask because I do know of "professional," veteran VO artists who have hurried a setup and pointed it the wrong direction, receiving similar results.
Dale

Don't take offense, but the question has not been asked:

Are you pointing the B2 labeled-side/ pattern switch-side of the mic toward the source?

I ask because I do know of "professional," veteran VO artists who have hurried a setup and pointed it the wrong direction, receiving similar results.
Dale

I think it is a valid point. When you first get one of those type of mics, it really is hard to know for sure where the front is.

I tested with a friend's MIC100 by behringer. Mic and cable work fine. So I guess the 23volts from the mixer are not enough.

Also my own MIC100's lamp (which produces too much noise) seems not to glow as much as my friend's. Could it be that the lamp went bad and I have lower volume and noise?

Back