Noise in my setup!

Rafik Kamel

I connect my spanish guitar to the computer through this setup;

- i have a cheap radioshack 4 channel mixer
- i connect to the mixer a unidirectional radioshack mic.
- i take a line out from the mixer into the mic (line in) of the computer

I use n-track software to record and mix tracks together. i used to get good results with this setup, now (after formatting the pc), suddenly i get excess noise when i turn the mixer on and when i record anything through it. Nothing has changed in the setup since the last time i have used it. The mixer runs on a 9v battery, could this be the reason? i mean could the battery be dying and causing that noise? it is still relatively new.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong with the setup? any recommendations? Please let me know and thanks.

radioshack sounds like a place for me. i wish south africa had shit like that !!

okay from my experience....when u have lots of noise...and i hate that noise,, i have 2 different wall plugs for electricity in my room....and i noticed...the one plug gives ALOT of bad noise,.that eeeeeeeee weird noise..and my other plug hardly gives off anything !!! and then also your transformer that you use to turn 220v into 9v, they also normally play a big roll....and then....on your pc....check whether your mic boost is on ? if it is on, switch it off and then adjust volumes and try like that !!

about the 9v battery.. my suggestion would be to rather use a power adapter when not doing live shows.

it canbe many things... but try my simple steps i use and let meknow how it's sounding !!

Cheers.:cool:

Hi christopher, i have played with the levels and lowered the input level on the sound card to almost its minimum. So the excess noise is reduced but there is still the slight hiss in the recordings. I will keep trying today and keep u posted.

Thanks for your help:)

This sounds wierd, but my dad has his own studio and one thing that somehow affected noise in his music were fluorescent lights. Try experimenting with anything you got plugged in your room, maybe?

Back