noise gate

What kind of "room noise" are you dealing with? If your noise floor is too high, I can think of better things to buy than another gate.

Gates will only help in certain situations and most of the time will not solve your problems like this. That being said, Drawmer, Klark Teknik, and BSS all make excellent gates.

I paid $50 for a Behringer Intelligate... It's one of the best gates I've used. Way better than a project 1 dbx gate I had... 100xs better! It can do really hard gating...

Keep in mind that gates will not remove that noise from a track with vocals for example. They can remove the noise when the singer is not singing, but not while the singer is actually singing. Gates are on/off type devices. They do not remove certain sounds (unless you are talking frequency ranges), but remove all sound. This means you can not pull birds chirping out of a vocal take except between passages.

That being said, the Behringer gates are on of the few pieces of Behringer where you actually get a half way decent product in my opinoin. They have plenty of features, but they do still have that trademark Behringer sound (you know, the what happened to my frequencies above 10k and below 100hz? thing...). Currently owning gates by Behringer, BSS, and DBX (the nicer 1074 gates, not the crappy project series), as well as once owning Drawmer and Klark Teknik, I can feel confident saying that the BSS and Drawmer gates sound MUCH better than the Behringers. The seem to be more natural in their opening and closing, and are much easier to set usable thresholds on. The KT and the DBX I still like more than the Behringer as well, but I do have some Behringer gates in some of my live racks still. They allow me to add a higher gate count at less expense. I just can't afford BSS and Drawmer in all 6 sets of FOH racks and monitor racks.

Also keep in mind that there's really no difference between gating before recording or after recording except for one - any gating before recording is permanent. So if you get to mixdown, and don't like how the gate opened or closed........ too late. In the analog days I used Keepex gates. Now I hardly ever use a gate because, as EZ Willis said, the best gate is non-destructive digital editing.

Back