Nobody should go and get this free , TC Electronics Reverb

I most certainly will not...i have a bathroom ..i just export everything to a wav file then re-record it in the bath...this may be dangerous I dont care..stuff all man made reverb!! :)

I most certainly will not...i have a bathroom ..i just export everything to a wav file then re-record it in the bath...this may be dangerous I dont care..stuff all man made reverb!! :)

All kidding aside, one of the coolest drum "effects" I've ever heard was the beginning of A Perfect Circles "The Halo," where the drums sound kind of distant and muffled. I've been thinking about how one could replicate that effect, and the best I can come up with would be recording your drums conventionally, then cranking up your monitors, playing them back, and re-recording them with a mic outside and down the hall. I haven't tried this, but if I wanted that kind of a sound on something, that'd be what I'd try.

All kidding aside, one of the coolest drum "effects" I've ever heard was the beginning of A Perfect Circles "The Halo," where the drums sound kind of distant and muffled. I've been thinking about how one could replicate that effect, and the best I can come up with would be recording your drums conventionally, then cranking up your monitors, playing them back, and re-recording them with a mic outside and down the hall. I haven't tried this, but if I wanted that kind of a sound on something, that'd be what I'd try.

Things like this, while maybe not common have been done a lot. I know they often would reamp everything into a stairwell for some U2 songs. That was a common practice for them on their earlier records. (read in tape-op, which if you don't already get, you are missing out!get tape op!)

Damnit, Flat, I had already downloaded yesterday (from that other post in the Recording forum); you warned me too late. Now I gotta figure out how to upload it back to them so I can return it :(.

;)

G.

the best I can come up with would be recording your drums conventionally, then cranking up your monitors, playing them back, and re-recording them with a mic outside and down the hall. I haven't tried this, but if I wanted that kind of a sound on something, that'd be what I'd try.

You'd be amazed how many times that's exactly what I've done. Seriously.

I trust you've heard numerous engineers suggest going outside the control room to check your mixes, right?

(And if not, you should definitely try that. Once you think you're happy with a mix, leave it up, hit "Play", and go outside the room and down the hall a bit. Often problems or imbalances will become obvious that you didn't notice when sitting right in front of the monitors.)

Anyway, I'd done that enough times with just one or two tracks solo'd to realize that if I put a mike out there in the hall, I'd get a killer ambience, complete with funky non-linear filtering. It works farkin' great.

Things like this, while maybe not common have been done a lot. I know they often would reamp everything into a stairwell for some U2 songs. That was a common practice for them on their earlier records. (read in tape-op, which if you don't already get, you are missing out!get tape op!)

i have a stairwell outside my residence at uni that has the most incredibly long natural reverb. The whole place is a concrete dungeon... i should make use of it while i'm here....

as for the Tc... be careful, when switching presets you can get a VERY VERY LOUD distored white noise things. it sucks hard. watch out for it. I noticed it when switching presets using the built in preset thing on the plugin compared to the preset bank that is in the plugin window of my daw (logic express)

Warning

Actually maybe nobody SHOULD get this plug. On another forum, Sound On Sound, a member posted this:

URGENT!!!

Do NOT --- repeat NOT NOT NOT -- use the free TC reverb that was posted here and elsewhere recently.

These idiot f***ers have release a POS plugin that blasts full scale digital distortion when you try to change the reverb type a few times.

I am very very lucky I had the volume down quite low just now while I was trying this out - a precaution I always use with a new piece of software.

EVEN WITH THE VOLUME DOWN I was almost deafened. Thank f*ck I wasn't using my headphones or I wouldn't be able to hear anything round about now.

Morons.. Some poor dude is going to seriously damage their hearing with this [ ****** ] up.

BE WARNED!!!!

Cheers,

Paul

ps: this was on Mac OS X 10.5.8 in Logic 9, but I have seen reports of the same in Snow Leopard too.

I have no experience of it myself and don't know anything about this poster or the product. However, it sounds like it could be potentially dangerous so I just wanted to let you guys know.

The original post was made here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/s...&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#788662

Tony.

They have a warning for Snow Leopard users (like me) - they say don't use the plug until they fix the bug (hey, that rhymes), but go ahead and download it and they'll email when the fix is ready.

But did I *heed* the warning? No, of course. Lucky I had my monitors turned most of the way down. Bam!

WOW ,
you would expect a co. like TC to have their shit together on something like this . This has been all over the web and at lots of audio sites; they should of had this down in an ironclad fashion before doing a promotion of this magnitude.

Sorry guys , I have'nt had problems in my reaper /PC setup .

Back