No Tone

apl

Stand Up Comity
So my bud's LP Studio that got the neck refinish, it's got no tone controls because he didn't want them. So the pots and caps were simply removed. I contend they should have left the caps in and put a fixed resistor in there.

What say ye?

So my bud's LP Studio that got the neck refinish, it's got no tone controls because he didn't want them. So the pots and caps were simply removed. I contend they should have left the caps in and put a fixed resistor in there.

What say ye?

It's not too late if it sucks. I agree...in fact...I would have left the knobs and all just for the options later but hey...to each their own.

Whenever possible I use no-load pots, which, when at ten, are completely out of the circuit. Very much preferable, to my mind. So, if a customer doesn't want one, I'm all about leaving it out.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

What say ye?
If he likes the sound, there is no reason for him to put a fixed resistor and cap in. When the tone is all the way up, the pot and cap are virtually out of the circuit, anyway.

Whenever possible I use no-load pots...

OK, so a guy comes in to your shop with a LP Studio and says, "I never use the tone controls, please remove them." How would Light respond? Would you point out that simply removing them is not the same as dialing them to 10?

OK, so a guy comes in to your shop with a LP Studio and says, "I never use the tone controls, please remove them." How would Light respond? Would you point out that simply removing them is not the same as dialing them to 10?
With no-load pots, dialing them to 10 is the same as removing them.

With no-load pots, dialing them to 10 is the same as removing them.

That would be a valid answer if the stock tone pots on LP Studio guitars were no-load pots. I don't believe that's the case.

Yeah, I would. Instead of a fixed resistor, though, we have always just tucked the tone pots inside the guitar, if there is room, since it doesn't require any new parts (though resistors are quite cheap) and very minimal labor. We've got one customer who we've done this for in both his PRS's. Volume controls too, for him, though. It's not something which happens often, though.

If your guy thinks the guitar is too bright now, then that is what I would do.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

So, short of buying no-load pots, would you just dial the existing pots to 10 and tuck them away? Or are you saying that no-load pots are the only acceptable solution? Just trying to understand your answer.

There is only one way to get tone from a knob . . .

THE CHICKEN!

OH HaHaHa Thats awesome:D
i wonder if you can get them already painted up that way
that knob is soo cool!:cool:

apl said:

What say ye?
I say I agree with you sir.

That would be a valid answer if the stock tone pots on LP Studio guitars were no-load pots. I don't believe that's the case.

That's not what I meant. If no-load pots would work for him, and if he had them he would just leave them turned all the way up, then just removing the pots and caps would give him the same result.

I have a Les Paul Custom, and at one point I decided I would put a preamp in it. I got as far as pulling out all the electronics and starting on the circuit board before I ran out of enthusiasm for the project. I had a gig coming up, so as a "temporary" measure I cut off the end of a guitar cable and stuck it in through the hole where the jack had been, tied a knot in it and hot wired it to the bridge pickup. It stayed that way for about two years.

So, short of buying no-load pots, would you just dial the existing pots to 10 and tuck them away? Or are you saying that no-load pots are the only acceptable solution? Just trying to understand your answer.

Two answers. 1) I like the sound of guitars without tone pots, so I have no objection to getting rid of them all together. 2) If the customer finds the guitar too bright without the tone pots, I'd just tuck the tone pots out of the way. Now, since the tone pots have already been removed, it might be easier to use a fixed resistor, but it would be harder to change back if you ever need to, and if the customer ever wants to sell the guitar... Plus, you presumably already have the pot on hand. As for no-load pots, no they are not the only acceptable option - they are simply my preference, because while I prefer the sound of a guitar without a tone pot (when I want it at 10), I actually use my tone pot a fair bit, as I don't have a tone stack on my amp (by design - I do have three volume controls, while still not having a master volume!)

Light

M.K. Gandhi

OH HaHaHa Thats awesome:D
i wonder if you can get them already painted up that way
that knob is soo cool!:cool:

I'll do up a batch if there is interest . . . this is model enamel paint sprayed with a few coats of clearcoat. I'm not the best painter in the world though. Actually, I think I'm in the bottom quartile :o

I'll do up a batch if there is interest . . . this is model enamel paint sprayed with a few coats of clearcoat. I'm not the best painter in the world though. Actually, I think I'm in the bottom quartile :o

You did that? Another impressive product from Naiant!

You did that? Another impressive product from Naiant!

Heh. Not yet.

This was the culmination of two great ideas; one mine, and one by Van Dyke Parks. First, me: why wasn't there a chickenhead knob that looked like a chicken? Simple question, really.

Next, for the Fender So-Cal featuring Brian Wilson Presents Smile sticker, there was only one choice for a knob:

Out in the barnyard, the chickens do their number

Of course, the So-Cal has no tone knob :cool:

Ill take 4:cool:

PM Sent to mshalarious!

Last edited:
Back