No Sound from MIDI

Codeseven

Hi guys. I have a Roland TD-12 drum module plugged into a Presonus Firepod via the MIDI ports on both. The Firepod is connected to a MacBook Pro via Firewire using Reaper. In Reaper, MIDI Devices, I have the Firepod 'Enabled' as both the Input and Output Device and in the Routing for track, MIDI Hardware Output, I have the Firepod designated. The Firepod is also designated for the Input and Output Sound on the MacBook.

But there is no sound and no indication on the Volume Meters in Reaper that it's receiving MIDI. have I left something out?

Gonna need more/better info:

What is generating the MIDI data? An electronic drum kit? Reaper?

Are you trying to record MIDI or audio?

A diagram or precise description of what goes to what (like: TD-12 MIDI out to Presonus MIDI in) would really help.

Thanks. It's a Roland TD-12 electronic drum kit. Signal chain is TD-12 MIDI In/Out->Firepod MIDI Out/In->MBP->Reaper.

"Are you trying to record MIDI or audio?" Good question, actually as far as Recording, I'm not sure. This is the first time I've connected the TD-12 to the Firepod using the MIDI ports. Previously I was using the Direct Outs of the TD-12 into the Line In's on the Firepod and that worked fine but I wanted to try using MIDI and free a couple of Line In's on the Firepod.

When a MIDI device is connected and you want to Record, do you have to designate MIDI or Audio?

Thanks. It's a Roland TD-12 electronic drum kit. Signal chain is TD-12 MIDI In/Out->Firepod MIDI Out/In->MBP->Reaper.

I think I get you, but you need to be a little more precise to prevent misunderstandings. I assume you mean TD-12 MIDI out to Firepod MIDI in, Firepod MIDI out to TD12-MIDI in.

"Are you trying to record MIDI or audio?" Good question, actually as far as Recording, I'm not sure. This is the first time I've connected the TD-12 to the Firepod using the MIDI ports. Previously I was using the Direct Outs of the TD-12 into the Line In's on the Firepod and that worked fine but I wanted to try using MIDI and free a couple of Line In's on the Firepod.

It sounds like you're trying to record MIDI data. So TD-12 MIDI out to Firepod MIDI in would be the critical connection. If you were monitoring the audio from the TD-12 by way of the Firepod and now you don't have that audio in the Firepod you're going to have to figure out another way to monitor the drums during tracking. One option is to trigger VSTi drum sounds in the computer, but people often have trouble with latency.

If you are going to use the TD-12 for your final drum sounds you're going to have to connect audio from the TD-12 to the Firepod anyway, if only during mixdown, plus MIDI out from the computer back to the TD-12 (which I think you have connected). If you use VSTi instruments you don't need any MIDI out from the computer as far as I can tell (being a MIDI newb myself).

When a MIDI device is connected and you want to Record, do you have to designate MIDI or Audio?

Seems likely, but I don't use Reaper.

Connect TD 12 midi out to firepod midi in, then firepod midi out to TD 12 midi iin. You will have done this already.

You have also selected the firepod as your midi device. So far so good.

Connect the line-outs of the TD12 to line-ins of the Firepod.

This is a general purpose configuration that should suit most of your needs.

Create a track in Reaper.

Arm it for recording. Select midi as the input source. Also select the firepod as the output.

Click on the monitoring button.

If you hit record in Reaper, and play something on the TD 12, you should now be able to record the midi while you hear the audio.

If you stop recording, and play back what you've done, the recorded midi will drive the TD 12, which you will be able to hear via the TD 12 audio going into the firepod.

Instead of playing back stuff through the TD12, you can insert a drum VSTi on the track. In this case, you don't need the firepod midi out as an output device.

MIDI is just data, not audio.

You won't get any audio by simply plugging in the MIDI connections....you will need to plug in the line outs from the drum module....so you won't be freeing up any audio inputs on your interface...sorry.

You will free up audio inputs if you use a VST to generate the sounds.

True, but I think the OP was thinking he could record the audio via MIDI, and eliminate the audio connections from the drum module....and his intention was not to record MIDI data or trigger sounds within the computer....he just wanted to get the audio in there and use the freed up audio inputs for something else.

That's what I speculate, but I could be wrong.

That has happened once or twice to me before, hard to believe. :rolleyes: :)

Here's another speculation of mine. :laughings:

The OP probably needs an interface with more audio inputs assuming that Presonus thing only has 2.

:guitar:

............Create a track in Reaper.

Arm it for recording. Select midi as the input source.

Geck, are you sure that's right? It might be, but I thought that, at this point, he has already triggered the D-12 (which I'm assuming is a sound module) and needs to record the audio from it. Shouldn't REAPER be armed to record "Audio" rather than MIDI?

I might be way off here because I'm not familiar with any of this equipment other than REAPER, which I don't use to record, just mix.

Geck, are you sure that's right? It might be, but I thought that, at this point, he has already triggered the D-12 (which I'm assuming is a sound module) and needs to record the audio from it. Shouldn't REAPER be armed to record "Audio" rather than MIDI?

I might be way off here because I'm not familiar with any of this equipment other than REAPER, which I don't use to record, just mix.

If he simply wants to record the audio, then all the OP needs to do is to arm the track and set the input for one or more of the firepod audio inputs (as you rightly note).

If he wants to record the midi so that he can edit and manipulate it, then the OP needs to set the track input to midi. If he wants to be able to hear what is being recorded, then the OP needs to either feed the drum audio into the firepod, or insert a VST.

If the OP wants to record the midi to free up audio inputs, then he needs to seek an audio source, i.e. a VST that the midi can drive.

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't been able to get to my kit to try things out but when I do I'll check back in.

Sorry for the delay guys.

I was trying to trigger a VSTi on my MacBook Pro (Superior Drummer) within Reaper using a Roland TD-12 drum kit via a Presonus Firepod. The TD-12 would trigger Superior Drummer fine outside of Reaper but when selected within Reaper there was nothing.

Well, I wish I could explain how I did it but after screwing around with a bunch of settings my TD-12 now shows as a MIDI device within Reaper and of coarse when selected it now triggers Superior Drummer just fine. Geez!

Sorry for the confusion but I appreciate the help, thanks.

Back