No sir. Silly rock/pop will never die!

Meshuggah

Finished remixing an old recording today. Transfered it from blackface ADATs to my HD24 for an easy dump to my computer.

Check out http://hem.tyfon.net/wa0043/ The song, which is called "Ego" is located in the music page.

If you wanna compare it to the original mix, it can be found at www.mp3.com/cococasa

Many thanx in advance for your opinions.

..and oh. The kick is another example of the very nice plugin Drumagog.

I think this is a decent song musically. Lyrically, I'm not so sure.

The lead guitar during the into is very heavy on the midrange and harsh sounding. I'd work with a different guitar tone that's a bit "warmer" sounding. The riffs in the song are cool parts, just harsh, especially the one that starts at about :52.

When the instruments kick in after the intro there's a fight for space among them. The main rhythm guitar dominates the sound. It pushes out the vocals, bass and the kick drum.

The vocals have some pitchiness in spots. Notes here and there kind of "land with a thud." I'd practice delivery, because you (assuming you're the singer) certainly have a strong voice.

My thoughts... Trip.

Hey,

I thought the intro git hard panned and still was distracting.

Everything sounds nice and loud and crisp but I found the mix competing with itself. Could be my monitors or a difference in sonic vision...........

Still, that hard panned right git pissed me off for some reason. I wanted to push the git back and towards center all in one shove.

Definitely a cool tune, I think I like the phrazing of "ego" the rest of the vox is mostly lost to my ears but, it doesn't sound wrong as far as levels and in this genre, I usually have to listen many times to figure out the lyrics.

Hope my little submission adds to your new rendition.

Peace,

Theron.

I really, really, really like this song. Only on gig and that's the hard panned guitar at the beginning. After everything else is in it's fine, it's just at the beginning. Did I mention that I REALLY like this tune?

I like it. I think I agree that the panned guitar is a distraction and also the vocal seems a little too loud. That brief guitar ride should come up a bit. Pretty cool.

TripleM. The "pitchiness" is sorta like a trademark for our singer (not me).. This song is also a couple of years old, maybe it's time to retrack the vocals...
The guitars.. well... I don't find them harsh, even in my harsh headphones. But maybe there's some slight lack of lows on them.. I'll have a look.

participant.. thanks for your insight in producing music ;)

theron, Track Rat and Bob... yup, that guitar was panned 100R by mistake. its' left side cousin is panned 75L. I will have that changed later today.

Thanks all for your time and your comments.

very good song imo! i like the lead guitar parts.

hey cool idea listing all your gear on your site. that way you don't have to list it all in a post here. maybe we all should do that. maybe i'll go do that right now....

back to the song. didn't like the hard panned intro guitar. the rest of the song sounds great, especially the vocals. they are cutting right through the guitar heavy mix. good job on that.

these hafta be real drums. don't tell me they aren't. hihats sounds great. is there a flanger on the snare? maybe just some tape artifacts? maybe some mp3 artifacts? those rimshots sound awsome! sounds like a different drum altogether. weird, it almost sounds like the muffler on the drum is temporarily released (eg. 2:06).

very good song! i already said that i guess. very good song!

I actually don't mind the panning of the guitar. I'd just like to hear a little more low end - probably more of the bass guitar - to balance out the harshness of the other guitars. I can tell that what you were going for here was kind of an abrasive (I mean that in a good way) rock sound so I don't want it to be too "smooth". But I think a little more sonic balance would really drive it home more effectively.

I like the song and the singer. Reminds me a little of early U2 before they became such windbags and actually had some balls. Definitely reminds me of a kind of rock we barely hear anymore - that is to say: not overly polished and "careful". Good stuff.

Chris

Last edited:
Back