No signal - Behringer X1204USB

Fierce1979

Morning !

Having recorded successfully (matter of opinion...) for many years using a cheap M-Audio interface, I recently got given a 'Behringer X1204USB' mixer
I'm reasonably ok with how to get stuff to work (whilst maybe not understanding WHY it works, if that makes sense) but I can't for the life of me get this to

I've got the mixer connected by USB to a laptop running Reaper
Reaper recognises that a USB device is connected, I've got the relevant inputs configured properly, but nada
If I look at the ASIO4ALL program, it too recognises 'A' USB device is connected and that's highlighted as being active

However, I cant get any signal. At this point I'm just trying to get it hooked up, haven't even tried playing anything through it

I've literally plugged it in, is there something I'm missing? I can select 'USB Audio Device' under playback options but I'm not sure that this is the correct device? Ie, how do I know that the USB Audio Device is the Behringer? Switching to that device prevents my music player (MediaMonkey) from playing. The Play button depresses but track doesn't move on, which suggests to me that MM doesn't see a sound card?
Also, even with the Berry switched off, that same USB Audio Device option is available.

I'm sure it is something silly that I've forgotten to do

Thoughts please?

I would forget for the moment the very excellent Reaper and ASIO4ALL.
Download Audacity (from ninite.com) and set the Berry up in that thus...Edit>preferences> select device probably "USB CODEC"
Make sure Windows has the same device (or a similar name) as the default recording device in Sounds menu. Then check in the Sounds menu for recording level,probably needs to be around 5%.

Dave.

I would forget for the moment the very excellent Reaper and ASIO4ALL.
Download Audacity (from ninite.com) and set the Berry up in that thus...Edit>preferences> select device probably "USB CODEC"
Make sure Windows has the same device (or a similar name) as the default recording device in Sounds menu. Then check in the Sounds menu for recording level,probably needs to be around 5%.

Dave.

Morning Dave

I can get sound! I can import a track into Audacity and hear it played back through my speakers (amp connected to line out jack. Pro here)

That said, when you say 'select device' do you mean under Host? Because I'm not seeing anything USB flavoured. I have std Windows options - NME, Direct Sound or WASAPI

Attached is how my UCA 202 (which I suspect is the USB "works" of the Berry mixers)
is setup on this HP i3 laptop.

In Windows (7) Sound Menu the record default is set as "External Device IDT HD CODEC" (N.B. no mention of USB!)
The playback device is, "Speakers USB Audio CODEC."

Hope that helps?

Dave.

Attachments

• USB SETUP FOR AUDACITY.png
    USB SETUP FOR AUDACITY.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 44
Attached is how my UCA 202 (which I suspect is the USB "works" of the Berry mixers)
is setup on this HP i3 laptop.

In Windows (7) Sound Menu the record default is set as "External Device IDT HD CODEC" (N.B. no mention of USB!)
The playback device is, "Speakers USB Audio CODEC."

Hope that helps?

Dave.

Well, I'm not entirely sure HOW it helped exactly, as I'm not seeing the word CODEC mentioned anywhere; BUT! I do now have level lights on the mixer

I still don't have any sodding sound, but I have data going from the computer back to the mixer

I've got both playback and recording devices set to USB Audio Device (NB, this option disappears when disconnecting the Berry)

I have a Cambridge Audio amp plugged into the headphones out of my laptop (I know I know! Just trying to get it working though!)

Am I missing something? I have volumes up on the mixer, but I don't have the amp connected directly to the mixer

Do I need to have the amp directly connected?

You need the amp fed from the RCA line outs of the mixer or possibly the Main Outs.

I will look for a signal diagram for the mixer.

Dave.

Ok cool, thanks Dave!

Noob question then. Is this always the case? My normal set up is a guitar or mic into a single channel USB AI, cheap and old M-Audio thing

I'm pretty sure that I didn't HAVE to have an external amp connected to it, am I wrong? Ie I could have the sound playing back through my computer's speakers

Is it a different situation with this Behringer thing? Never used one before

Cheers for all your help btw, although I am kicking myself that I haven't found this forum 5 years ago......! :D

Problems I've encountered with this:

Awful, awful hiss on first channel, with nothing plugged in and gain down. Looks to be a fault

Connectivity. Cannot get line or mic signal to DAW, yet plays track through main mix

Playback. No matter what routing selection, cannot change volume nor select what method playback comes through

USB Driver - none supplied, so supposed to use generic Windows version. Shite

Also, one of the pads it sits on is lower, so it rattles. Highly annoying

All in all, highly unimpressed

It did prompt me to upgrade my old non powered piece of junk, so picked an in stock item locally - Focusright 214i

I know they get a fair bit of grief on here, but then they all have their issues

Last edited:
Back