No play back in Cubase LE

Hiccup Master

I just picked up a PreSonus Firepod that came with Cubase LE but I when I play back what I've record, I don't get any sound from my computer. I downloaded a template from the PreSonus site for Cubase that is pretty sweet. I can record stuff and export it and it sounds fine, but when I try to play back what I've just recorded I get nothing. No meters going or anything. All the output things I've seen say Output on the PreSonus but it's not hooked up for output, I just want to play back what I've recorded on my computer.

This is probably a n00b question, I've looked around but haven't seen anything.

Hiccup Master said:
I just picked up a PreSonus Firepod that came with Cubase LE but I when I play back what I've record, I don't get any sound from my computer. I downloaded a template from the PreSonus site for Cubase that is pretty sweet. I can record stuff and export it and it sounds fine, but when I try to play back what I've just recorded I get nothing. No meters going or anything. All the output things I've seen say Output on the PreSonus but it's not hooked up for output, I just want to play back what I've recorded on my computer.

This is probably a n00b question, I've looked around but haven't seen anything.

If you don't have your monitors hooked up to the firepod and want to listen through your computer speakers, you'll need to select your computer's soundcard as the output device in cubase. If it's not available as an option in the VST outputs, then you may need to change to a generic driver (multimedia).

Install a generic driver for my sound card? Cause I see the outputs and everything for Cubase but all it points to is the FirePod. Is there something that you have to pick the driver, like Switching to the ASIO PreSonus drive?

Hiccup Master said:
Install a generic driver for my sound card? Cause I see the outputs and everything for Cubase but all it points to is the FirePod. Is there something that you have to pick the driver, like Switching to the ASIO PreSonus drive?

In the devices menu, select device setup. Under VST multitrack, there should be an option to change the driver. If you have ASIO multimedia, select that. It may ask you to test the new driver. Click "yes." Then, you should have the option to select the Firepod for input devices and your computer's soundcard as the output device.

Alright, so I switched the driver over to the ASIO Multimedia one, and went into control pannel and I saw where you could change the outputs and inputs. I change the Outputs to just my soundcard on my computer and now I can hear what I say/play but there is like a 2 or 3 second delay...?

Hiccup Master said:
Alright, so I switched the driver over to the ASIO Multimedia one, and went into control pannel and I saw where you could change the outputs and inputs. I change the Outputs to just my soundcard on my computer and now I can hear what I say/play but there is like a 2 or 3 second delay...?

Also in the driver settings, you should be able to adjust the latency/buffers. There will always be some delay due to processing that takes place within the computer and software. You'll need to adjust the buffer size, but if you make it too small, you may experience trouble recording (clicks/pops, etc.).

If the firepod has monitor outputs, you may eventually want to connect your speakers to that.

scrubs said:
Also in the driver settings, you should be able to adjust the latency/buffers. There will always be some delay due to processing that takes place within the computer and software. You'll need to adjust the buffer size, but if you make it too small, you may experience trouble recording (clicks/pops, etc.).

If the firepod has monitor outputs, you may eventually want to connect your speakers to that.

Yeah, it has monitor Outputs for headphones so we'll have to see which works out the best. I just formatted and reinstalled XP on my recording machine so I'm gonna set it up tomorrow and test it out.

Hiccup Master said:
Yeah, it has monitor Outputs for headphones so we'll have to see which works out the best. I just formatted and reinstalled XP on my recording machine so I'm gonna set it up tomorrow and test it out.
Just FYI, those are two different sets of outputs you're talking about when you say "monitor outputs for headphones". There's a main mix out on the back of the unit, with two outs, one for each channel (right and left) to go to each of your monitors, while the headphone out is on the front, and takes both the right and left channels down a single stereo 1/4 cable. There are separate knobs on the front to adjust the volume to each of these outputs: One that says "Main Out" or something, and one that says "Phones".

Edit: Another important thing to mention! If you have the output going through the Firepod, and you turn the "Mix" dial all the way to "Input" you can do true latency-free monitoring regardless of how crappy your computer is, which is nice. Once I was onto that, I was loathe to route it through the comp... :cool:

I'm trying to hear my playback through my computer speakers, which are routed through my stereo, is there any other way to do that other than plug my firepod outputs right into the stereo?

If you try and use your standard soundcard (non pro) to monitor there will certainly be a much more hefty latency. Latency is a fact of life with computer recording, and cannot be made to completely go away, but better hardware allows for that latency to be much lower and much more acceptable. There are typically a couple different generic drivers in Cubase. I would try the other drivers as well with your stock soundcard and see if you can't get a slightly lower latency. However, the real solution here is to tak the cable that is coming out of your soundcard and switch it so the presonus is the one feeding your home receiver/cpu speaker setup. That latency will be drastically less.

Back