No place to be

I don't know who the Mona Lisa twins are, but that just means they're probably not hookers in the Northeast US.

I'm not much for this kind of music. However, my dilettante mix opinion is as follows... I'm not listening on good speakers, but the vocal sounds a bit loud compared to the music. Good voice, though. I also thought the occasional cymbal crash was a bit loud... loud relative to the rest of the music, anyway.

There's too much reverb on the drums, and the snare is coming entirely from the right channel (usually sits center). Agree the cymbals are sometimes just too loud. Bass guitar is very forward in the mix, which isn't bad but it kinda takes over because the other instruments are more for texture.

Song sounds very much like a Beatles tune, don't remember the name.

Sounded decent. I assume you're going for that 1967-ish sound. The effects you're using are going to make it sounded dated however.

Vocal sounds decent, but I caught a pitchy note in a couple of spots.

Guitars sounded OK. Lots of chorus/flanger type stuff.

The drums are probably the weakest link. They sound program-y.

I think the melody is really cool and the performances seem pretty good, but the vocal seemed a bit loud and boomy to me and the drums just didn't fit what it seems like the overall vibe of this song should be. They sounded like a stock drum machine pattern which could actually be cool in some other context, but didn't work for me on this song. I think it could sound loads better with a different mix and different drums. Just my $.02. :)

"Tomorrow Never Knows" just called. It wants it's vibe back. And "Taxman" wants its' bassline back. :D

But seriously, it's a cool tune if you wanted a Beatle-ish sound. If you want the snare on the right like that, I'd suggest panning the whole kit over there. Otherwise, you probably want to put the whole kit in the middle. But having only one drum panned that far sounds weird. Nothing wrong with "weird", but there's good weird and weird weird.

Cool tune.

I was going to say Beatles writing a pop song in the 80's. I think the reverb on the drums is one of the main things that gives it that 80's vibe. And the snare on right should be center and the cymbals are too loud. Vocals didn't bother me too much. Good potential in the song.

Thank you all for your input. Yes, you are all correct on the drum and cymbal issue. I have to correct some cymbal hits and volume and the snare panning as well. I knew that before I posted it. Yes, I program them using Beatcraft and I do know it shows but since I'm the band member that you DON'T want behind the kit, I do my best with it. I'm glad to hear you all saying the same things about it because it just reaffirms that I'm on the right track in what I thought needed to be changed. Vocal volume is another thing I was questioning too. I was looking for something surreal generally....not Beatle-ish on purpose but I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you for the good things said about my vocals, I am very surprised and happy about that. I've had 2 throat surgeries in the past year and I'm still a little unsure on whether I'm singing on pitch.

I'll re-post after doing some tweaking and you all can let me know what you think!

Thanks, Dominick

Oh, and the MonaLisa twins are "not hookers in the Northeast US."

There's a whole lot of work to make that sound ever like real drums... so I think it works anyway with clearly artificial drums, I'd just put the snare more in the centre, lose a touch of 'verb, give it a bit more top end.. might even sound OK with a bit of distortion... have a play and see.

I'd put a bit more top and snarl (if you can) on the bass as well.. 'tis a bit boomy for me.

I don't think that fiddly little keyboard figure is actually well enough in time... sounds like it's got a slow attack on it and that pushes it back a bit too far by the time you can hear the sound, even if the notes are on the beat.. maybe nudge the whole track to the left a touch..

Guitars sound good to me and overall I think the song has a nice feel to it.

It's got a nice distant feeling to it. Your voice has an occasional pleasant British-ness to it.
The cymbals are too loud. They really crash into my ears.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and support, especially on the vocals. You've given me more confidence that I can still sing and that it sounds normal and not like I just gargled with battery acid.

I've been tweeking up the drums and have some definite ideas on how to improve the mix from your suggestions.

Dominick

I think the song has good potential but it's getting lost in reverb and effects....like its been sanded down. I do realize that you're going for an etherial sort of feel but I think you need different approaches to that with different instruments. I'd probably also find a more drum machiny sounding drum machine. My feeling is that a person is better off with drum sounds that are obviously electronic than trying to fake real drums. The Symbol crashes are also too many and too loud. All that said though...it is a catchy song. Guitar sounds good and has definition.

Back