No Option to Change Sample Rate in US-2000 Audio Interface

ericeholtz

Hello,
I can no longer change the sample rate in the Tascam US-2000 audio interface with Windows 7. The option to change the sample rate is no longer available in the"Properties" box.
I've been using this interface for years with Windows Vista, 7, and also Windows 10, and this issue has only occurred on a temporary basis. Turning the device off and on remedied the problem.
Now, nothing will bring back the option to change the sample rate. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Thank you,
Eric
Properties_US2000_Win7.PNG

Uninstall driver and reinstall. Also try registry cleaner if the previous doesn't do the trick.

I found the cause of the primary issue. For some reason, the "Listen to this device" box was check marked under the "Recording" tab in the Sound properties box. Unchecking that box brought back the "Advanced" tab, and the option to change the sample rate.

On a separate note, I've never had a 24 bit option listed under the sample rate/bit depth options on this Windows 7 machine, only 16 bit. The Windows 10 machine has both 16 bit and 24 bit options listed, but the Tascam Control Panel always shows 24 bit as the "Sample Width". Both machines have sample rates from 44000Hz to 96000Hz available.
Properties_US2000_Win7_sample-rate-options.jpgProperties_US2000_Win7_Contol-Panel.PNG
It's also strange that sometimes after I set the sample rate to the desired rate, i.e., 48kHz, the interface will switch to another rate, such as 44.1kHz without my input.

My DAW is Adobe Audition, and the Tascam interface settings cannot be changed within the DAW while using ASIO.

I noticed that there is a much newer driver available on Tascam's website for the US2000. The most recent version is 2016 - V 2.07rc1. 2014 had v2.05. You might want to check out what they did with those drivers. V2.02 was released in 2010, 5 years before Win10 was released.

It's also strange that sometimes after I set the sample rate to the desired rate, i.e., 48kHz, the interface will switch to another rate, such as 44.1kHz without my input.
I don't know if this explains it, but interfaces that connect by USB generally follow the sample rate dictated by the software that is the source of audio. Perhaps you're playing audio into it at 44.1 kHz. Do you use that interface for other activities besides recording?

I don't know if this explains it, but interfaces that connect by USB generally follow the sample rate dictated by the software that is the source of audio. Perhaps you're playing audio into it at 44.1 kHz. Do you use that interface for other activities besides recording?
Besides recording, I use the Tascam US-2000 for playback of multiple sources, including online audio and video, such as YouTube and Facebook. The sample rate will change from where I set it before I even open my DAW.

Besides recording, I use the Tascam US-2000 for playback of multiple sources, including online audio and video, such as YouTube and Facebook. The sample rate will change from where I set it before I even open my DAW.
I wouldn't worry about it. It probably automatically changes to match your DAW settings. All the USB interfaces I've used do that. The only time that doesn't work out is with an external ADC connected by Lightpipe or SPDIF where the ADC has its own sample rate selector.

I wouldn't worry about it. It probably automatically changes to match your DAW settings. All the USB interfaces I've used do that. The only time that doesn't work out is with an external ADC connected by Lightpipe or SPDIF where the ADC has its own sample rate selector.
The sample rate changes before I even open up my DAW.

What Bouldersoundguy says above . . . don't worry about it. Whether it runs at 44.1 or 48 really makes no difference. The onl;y thing you really need to be aware of is to render at 16bit and 44.1 if you want to burn the tracks to a CD.

I believe my original issue is now resolved, but I do want to mention another sample rate oddity I've experienced. I set up several sessions at 96kHz for transferring multitrack reel-to-reel tapes, and set the Tascam's sample rate to the same. After the recording was finished, I noticed that the files were indeed 96kHz files, but frequency analysis showed some of the files cutting off at 22.05kHz, while others were filtered at 24kHz. The cutoff frequency according to Nyquist should be 48kHz for 96kHz files. Upon further experimentation, I noticed that the sample rate of the Tascam had changed from 96kHz to 44.1 or 48kHz when I began recording. My DAW had to upsample from the interface setting of 44.1 or 48 to the session setting of 96kHz on the fly. In a nutshell, I have 96kHz files with only 44.1 or 48kHz of audio material.

I just did an experiment with my Scarlett 6i6 (1st gen) and Vegas Pro. If Vegas Pro is using the Windows Classic Wave Driver, it doesn't reset the interface to the project sample rate, but it does force the interface to match the software if the DAW is set to use the Focusrite driver. I'm going to do some more experiments to see what happens if I use the Windows Classic Wave Driver and mismatch the sample rates.

Is the Tascam selected as the audio device in Windows? I wonder is the OS is resetting the sample rate to its preference. Maybe try selecting a different audio device in Windows.

I just did an experiment with my Scarlett 6i6 (1st gen) and Vegas Pro. If Vegas Pro is using the Windows Classic Wave Driver, it doesn't reset the interface to the project sample rate, but it does force the interface to match the software if the DAW is set to use the Focusrite driver. I'm going to do some more experiments to see what happens if I use the Windows Classic Wave Driver and mismatch the sample rates.

Is the Tascam selected as the audio device in Windows? I wonder is the OS is resetting the sample rate to its preference. Maybe try selecting a different audio device in Windows.
Yes, the Tascam is listed as the audio device in Windows. The sample rate is set through Sound Properties in Windows. I've set the rate to 96kHz, and actually watched it revert back 48kHz. The only other audio device option is when using the MME driver. I always use the ASIO driver when editing or recording.

^^^+1 I made a shortcut for the sound control panel so that I can switch the default sound output to the internal card when I am using the interface, then in the DAW you should be able to set the sample rate, etc.

Back