NMD: Yamaha HS80Ms

DrewPeterson7

Sage of the Order
A buddy of mine got the local GC to price match a set of KRK Rokit 8s for a pretty god deal and since I needed a new set anyway and there's a great mexican place not far from the GC, I tossed an old amp that's been gathering dust in my hallway into the back of my car and drove up with a stack of CDs with good mixes and met him there.

My buddy had already done his research and was going with the KRKs one way or the other on price and a number of good recommendations, but I ended up spending an hour or so in their listening room with a (somewhat crazy, but pretty cool) sales guypopping in and out, mostly to get off the floor and hear what we were listening to than to try to sell me one way or the other I think. :lol: (He was also a pretty damned good engineer in his own right, the CD that was playing when we stareted was some stuff he'd tracked and mixed, and I thought it was a John Mayer album I just hadn't heard at first).

Ended up walking away with the Yamahas - they definitely had a bit of that NS10 mid spike thing going, coupled with a LOT going on in the presence, to the point where initially I was a little concerned, but when we moved from his disc (which evidently had been ripped from mp3s, hence some of my high end uneasiness) to Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Devin Townsend's Terria, not only did the Yamahas sound great, but they seemed more intelligible than any of the other (mid-priced - KRKs, MAckie HR8s, and these) monitors I was comparing them to. It was easier to pick out individual parts, it seemed.

Either way, I'm coming off a set of Behringer Truth 2030A's, so these are a huge upgrade. :lol: The Truths weren't a complete waste, I grabbed them at a time where for various reasons I couldn't afford to spend more than a couple hundred and the (decent, at least) computer speakers I'd been using previously were dying on me, and I'm just going to give them to my dad now, as they're a lot better than what he's working on now (again, computer speakers - he doesn't care much about production as much as he does about just making music, but I think he'll dig having something a little more "pro" to work on).

All in all, it's just cool to actually be able to hear my bass guitar clearly now. :lol: Also, subtle EQ tweaks elsewhere in the spectrum seem easier to hear as well. I'm happy. The things are HUGE, though - I was contemplating a larger monitor, but now I'm not positive I have space. :lol:

I know it generally takes some time to break in new monitors - any suggestions?

Back