Nitfind....

WOW, I love the feel of this...The guitars sound GREAT!!! I LOVE the verb....the drums and percussion seem a little muddy(??) to my ears...I am not listening on the best of speakers though.
How did you record those guitars? What kind of guitar is it? DAMN!!!! It sounds GREAT!!!! I could hear something like this on a Brent Mason album...You are EXCELLENT!

Well done Jeff. Good to see you back and posting again. This is great playing, and I too am curious about the guitars. One sounds like a resonator of some sort. One sounds like a nice nylon string classical. I used to listen to a group called Acoustic Alchemy a lot, and this reminds me of some of their stuff.

nice sounds Jeff...well captured and beautifully played

I get klutzee's comment on the percussion being a little muddy, I dont think it sounds muddy just a little muffled to me..

nice to hear your stuff again :)

Hey my next song was gonna sound just like this! :mad:

:p

Yeah it's really good. Someone should teach you how to play. :spank:

Some of the slide-in second guitar notes are kind of raspy and shrill, and the whole mix seems to be a little muddy down low once everything comes in. Only slightly though. I hear a few small pops and clicks in the sparse intro. Other than that, I'm sedated. :D

I can hear some rough slide ups with and with out the slide, but it helps it to sound more natural to me. One of the nicest sounding songs I've heard on these forums.

The intro acoustic is a Maton EGB808 'Tommy Emmanuel'. Aussie thing....steel stringed...but very mid-rangie: built thick, and engineered to suppress A220...woof-zone. It's designed to plug in. The intro is the sound outta the hole..stereo mics about 3' away stacked over&under..Shure KSM27's. The melody/solo is the same guitar plugged-in through an old Alesis processor..a program I created...direct into the board.

The strumming guitar back of the band is a Maton 'Artist'...essentially the same guitar with blackwood back and sides, instead of mahogany an Aussie tree variety they call 'Queensland Maple'????. The tops are both 500 year-old Sitka...22-24 rings/inch. A real 'pinger'.

The 'dobro' slide is a 70's-era Epiphone plywood acoustic...I wrote the song on it after buying it at a pawn shop in Florida. A beach-beater. I shoulda used a glass slide. The metal one clangs a bit much...but it sounded kinda like stuff Clapton did on some records....I had to roll-off some of the scratch, though.

The bottom is muddy cuz I had the tone all the way off on the bass by accident. Mebbe I can brighten it somehow...better than I already tried. I should re-record. Maybe try some other BD and tom samples. The rim things on the snare are real. I put lots of verb on the kit...maybe too much. If you got ideas, lemme know, pahleeze!

Pops and clicks are just whatcha get with an acoustic with a small voice. GuitZero cued me into a program that can suppress 'em. Nothin money can't fix! And as for this being yer next tune, I'm sorry your muse has left you. But it's got wicked randy lyrics!! [nope..about a guy who leaves his wife and really, really regrets it.]

Thanks for the ears: 'preciate it.

I'm gigging and working a regular job and giving lessons and have three other part time things. About 80 hours a week. Recording has slowed :^( Lawyers and the IRS are killin' me. And Obama's economy....venues are going bust everywhere. They need stimulus....

Oh yeah, Gerg..I can't even just hit a snare with a good, solid pulse. The track has about 50 slice and slide edits. No hope for me as a real drummer. Quantize-dependent putz...

And I'm playing with the EQ on WMP..seem to get a better result with a smilie bottoming out @ -3 in the 250 to 500...and a little boost @ 2k-ish....+2...and +1 at 4k. and a little boost in the 32 & 64. +4 and +2.

Last edited:
Hey Jeff, you been hibernating or something....?:D
Nits, hmmmnnn, let's see, not much to nit on. The plucking on the acoustic sounds a bit harsh at times other than that.....once again you show what a fine musician you are. I'm sure you're gonna sell this one.

Golly. TX for the positive feedback...I'd had low hopes for this.

I'm trying to find time to listen and comment on the scads of new stuff...but I gotta go punch in again.

Wow... I *love* this, Jeff. I got so wrapped up in the beauty of the whole thing, I almost forgot I was trying to find nits.

Everything works... I tried my best to find muddiness in the bottom end, but dude... I guess the low-HZ section of my ears ain't working because it was clean, bro.

Great tune, and thanks for sharing.

This is beautiful. I honestly would have preferred it sticking to the acoustic bluesy sound rather than morphing into the electric and more jazzy sound. It just sounded kinda cheesy like a soundscape album you'd get at Walmart. I'm honestly not trying to be harsh, it just really isn't my type of thing but the transition between the two parts is seamless. The first part of the song reminded me of something Ry Cooder would do which is awesome, and I wish it would have stayed there. I LOVE the A-B-C motif you kept referencing. It was done just enough times to have alot of impact and was very tasteful. Great listen.

Since the last post, I loaded the tune on disc, and played it on the CD player in my truck, and it sounds pretty good....I can hear definition in the bottom...just subdued, level-wise...and the bass carries the freq w/o drawing a lot of attention to itself. I think that's good. My personal nit is the clanginess of the opening feature guitar. I'd like to get a warmer sound...and I think I need other mics than the KSM's to get that...something like Neumann valver$. The KSM's seem to just like to hear clang.

Tommy Emmanuel used this guitar to record his 'Only' record, produced by Mike Olfield, and got the sweetest tone I ever did hear; I just can't get the same sound.:mad:

I just gotta mentioned I remembered the JS Bach thingie on your website from the Bezerklee days. They still do that tune there?

love this stuff you do. Very nice.

Since the last post, I loaded the tune on disc, and played it on the CD player in my truck, and it sounds pretty good....I can hear definition in the bottom...just subdued, level-wise...and the bass carries the freq w/o drawing a lot of attention to itself. I think that's good. My personal nit is the clanginess of the opening feature guitar. I'd like to get a warmer sound...and I think I need other mics than the KSM's to get that...something like Neumann valver$. The KSM's seem to just like to hear clang.

Tommy Emmanuel used this guitar to record his 'Only' record, produced by Mike Olfield, and got the sweetest tone I ever did hear; I just can't get the same sound.:mad:
maybe a nice ribbon mic. ;)

Hey, I think you got a lot of good comments already. I don't nee dto add anything else. Just wanted to say I really enjoy listening to you play.

peace,

Don't know what the courses for guitar are like now. I was there a long time ago.

Thanks for the feedback and attaboys....I try hard not to suck too bad.

Back