Nine Inch Nails sound..

mattfrye14

i know they use nord lead 2 and nord lead 3, and was considering purchasing one..but what is the nord modular, ive heard great things...can it do what the nord lead 2 and 3 do...and also since the nord modular has a small keypad, could i control it with a full sized mide controller?

Nord

First I would refer you here http://www.clavia.se/ .
They have really good info on all the nords.

Basically the modular uses your computer as the synth brains and your going to spend alot of time with a mouse.

All three are really cool in their own ways, but the lead3 is by far the most advanced and offers control capabilities no other synth does. Read up on the morph function.

I have a lead3 and I would recommend it highly, but it depends on how much you want to spend. If you've got 2k you can spend, get the lead3 for sure and don't waste time. But if your budget is less, you can save over $1000 by getting the lead2, and you'll still have a killer synth. And of course a modular is even less than that.

I'd personally save for the lead3 if I were you.
BTW, goto nin.com to the "current" block on the weird ass menu and check out the pictures of trent in the studio. There's not much Trent does'nt have...
Good Luck!

yeah, right now i have a cheap yamaha psr 3XX (not sure exact numbers)...but right now i dont even know how to play the piano and im going to take about 3 years of lessons and get a nord lead 3 for my graduation present (im giong to be a sophomore this comming school year)

The Nord Modular is the coolest piece of equipment in existence. :) It's a virtual modular synthesizer, and you can do almost any type of non-sampling synthesis on it, as well as use it as an effects processor.

Some dude even made a pong game on it. You connect the output to an oscillator and you can use it to play pong. :)

Everybody needs one. At least everybody needs a Micro modular, wich is the small monotimbral version. :)

NiN sound

Trent's sound is equal parts Nord and Waldorf (check out the XT - unbelievable synth)...as far as the Nord Mod goes, it can do anything the nord leads can do but much, much more!

Say you want 7 saws and a FM carrier/modulator pair feeding a moog-style lowpass and a vocal formant filter with sixteen lfos modulating everything into unrecognizable madness - easily set up.

Once your patches are programmed via the computer, you can assign the 18 front panel knobs to whatever parameters you want (per patch) and unplug the computer and take the nord to a gig. You'd have to pry my Nord Mod from my cold dead...etc

Interesting...

I've looked at em, but I really like the full hands on instruments. The guy I bought my lead3 from is Zon Vern Pyles. His picture and bio are listed on clavia's site. He made a good portion of the factory patches on the lead, 2 & 3 and the modular, and is responsible for all the new updates including a new performance bank that will be available sometime this month.
He knows nords as well as anyone out there I would say, and he says the lead3 takes the cake and then some.
But I would still like to check it out, you make it sound pretty cool!
I think pretty much anything from clavia is kick ass! Have you ever played with the electro '73? It's probably the coolest "electric piano" ever made!

Zon!

Zon has made some of the most jaw-dropping emulations on the Nord Mod I have ever heard.
He has this one patch that has crickets and other nightlife in a windy nightime field with a brook nearby - almost indistinguisable from real!!! Zon is a consumate programmer! He also has some banks that he programmed for the Nord Mod.

I *love* the UI of the NL3, I just dont like the fact that the signal path is hardwired and the modulation is limited in that, it too, is hardwired.

I've played the NL3 before and liked it a lot (sexiest interface ever!) but I knew I could get any of the same sounds from my Mod and so many more that it coldn't touch!

I'm still tempted by the NL3, just not sure where I would put it ^_^

Back