NIN cover.

on the balance of things, conceptual stuff, etc..)

Its hard to comment on the balance without commenting on the other stuff.:D If you wanted distortion, you certainly got it. Whats missing (on headphones) is low end. The whole thing is really blurry panning wise, there isnt a whole lot of stereo separation.

Then again, you may want that.:D I dont know NIN at all. I cant say that anything you did was "wrong" for the genre: for all I know it could sound exactly like the original. Theres a time and place for everything, and if the genre calls for muddy distortion, you nailed it! Thats not an insult BTW.:)

Well that's good to know that I got something of what I was going for. lol.

Most stuff was panned fairly center. Just some panning on the guitars and some on the chorus vocals.. but I put them through slight reverb to make sure they weren't too separated. Sounds a little bit like the original... just a little different. Glad I nailed it, then =D

I noticed the same thing as you about lack of bass..are you talking about pretty much in the chorus? I think the verses have a pretty good amount of bass, but it does thin out quite a lot in the chorus... I was trying to figure out how to thicken it up. Do you have any suggestions as to how to remedy that a bit?

Anyway, thanks for giving some feedback dude. :)

I noticed the same thing as you about lack of bass..are you talking about pretty much in the chorus?

I dont think its a lack of bass as much as an over-abundance of treble.:D There is a lot of stuff in the mid-upper range that is competing, and the balance between low and high isnt working because of it. Defining the bass will help, a little eq work might bring it out.

Most stuff was panned fairly center. Just some panning on the guitars and some on the chorus vocals.. but I put them through slight reverb to make sure they weren't too separated.

Basically, I would call this music a "collage". But each element has to be clearly defined to make it more interesting, there is a lot of stuff going on. You do that by panning, eq, and arrangement. Also, by figuring out what truly is important and what is not. I do dense music too, and at some point I figure out what is essential for the listener to hear, and what can go into the background.

I like it from a conceptual standpoint, but I kinda agree with DavidK. It's overly bright and overly distorted IMHO. I like early NIN, and am not familiar with that song, but I compared it to "Last", and it was way louder, but far less impactfull. I don't know if NIN got more distorted sounding later on or not, but I can't imagine it was as distorted as you have it.

Should have chosen a better NIN song to cover :mad:
But, definitely sounds well done. The chorus is a little anticlimactic for my taste (the NIN version seemed to bring a lot more energy in). Not a fan of the vocals, but oh well. Decent job.

i think it was executed excellently. there are an abundance of highs, maybe too much, and the bass kinda drops out on the chorus, but other than that a+

Should have chosen a better NIN song to cover :mad:
But, definitely sounds well done. The chorus is a little anticlimactic for my taste (the NIN version seemed to bring a lot more energy in). Not a fan of the vocals, but oh well. Decent job.

it's the one we were asked to do for a tribute disc. I didn't even know this one very well before working on it.

anyway thanks for the feedback folks. I had to do a massively rushed job on this to get it out by the deadline, so I'm no where near as confident that this is a good mix as my usual stuff. I'll try to thin out some of the high end a bit, I think I know what your talking about. I was thinking of playing with some synth bass an octave lower than the bass guitar for the chorus just to beef things up a bit.

The original isn't AS distorted, but is one of their more distorted tracks. I kind of wanted it to be ridiculously rude and face peeling sounding, overly compressed and overly distorted. Almost like early Chemical Brothers or something like that. So, at least I got that right! ;)

You're a chick?! Or I'm so completely stupid

I love the cover. Moreover that I can't stand Nine Inch Nails but your version sounds lush.

I'm going to see about fixing the bottom end issue and re-post it to here to see what people think. As I said, this was a MAJOR rush job, so I figured the mix would probably suck quite a lot.

Back