NGD: Vintage Gibson SG

stevieb

Just another guy, really.
Scored this one at a garage sale. Not gonna say what I paid for it, so don't ask. Suffice to say, I am a man of modest means, these days.

Some inconsistencies- S/N says it's a '61 (according to a SN resource on-line, it was first made in '59,) but truss rod cover does not have "Les Paul" etched on it, and apparently the "batwing" pick guard was not used until '65. The Maestro Lyre & Logo vibrato pegs it as a '63 or later. Pickups have the "Patent no. XXXXX" sticker on them (some of the sticker is gone, so I can't read the entire number.)

Lots of pics attached- note the crooked tuners- I removed them, thinking they have been removed and re-installed (somebody used sloted screws, not phillips) but there are no extra holes or imprint of the tuner, so I can only surmise that is how they were originally installed (so much for the "craftsmanship" of the '60's.)

Trying to fix a value range on it:
A search of eBay completed auctions of SG's from '61 through '70 returned sold SG's from $1407 to $7500, with an average of $3397. This site 1962 Gibson SG Standard talks about SG's from '61 selling for $15K-20K:eek:, and he says he bought his for $6K.

Haven't played it, yet- still cleaning and such.

Finished cleaning, strung it up right-handed, had my bud Norman play it today while we worked on a couple originals. He likes it. We are both kinda scratching our heads, can't really figure out how such a guitar could be worth upwards of $7500, but hey, it is what it is.

Gibson had a habit of recycling serial numbers so you have to go by the appointments to get an age range and fix it with S/N.

Back