next step up...

jameslucas

I'm running a sampson C01 condensor (vox/guitar) and shs om-500s/audiotechnica ML1000l's for drums and bass into a behringer 1202 then into my SB audigy (24bit) soundcard. My recording sound alright but lack a certain level of clarity and the high ends seem too bright and get dull if I EQ them down. What is the next step I should take in uprgrading my chain? I do folk recordings mixed pretty much live. Any help would be great. Thanks! lucas

For me, your next step up is a toss up between a better mic and a better sound card. If you choose a better mic, I'd suggest the Rode NTK. I really like it on guitars and vocals. If you decide to get a better soundcard, I can't really help you out, because I've only ever owned the M-Audio Delta series. I like my Delta 44 pretty well.

You need a soundcard with more than two simultaneous inputs, like an M-Audio.

I have the 1010 which I find fantastic.

You might like the 44 or 66.

What is your monitoring setup? IOW, How do you know things are "too bright"?

has to be your soundcard, as far as i know the AP, delta 44 and delta 66 all have the same converters so pick the one which has the feautures you need - if you dont want midi or SPDIF then the 44 is very good and the breakout box more convenient than on the audiophile.

I don't think it's my soundcard. I mix with a coupla YS1-s and the high end is sharp and biting at times. The only difference in a better soundcard (I don't have SB live, it's Audigy platinum, a reasonably nice card, nice enough), would be better conversion and the ability to do several tracks at once (which I doubt my 512 could handle). thanks!

jameslucas said:
I'm running a sampson C01 condensor (vox/guitar) and shs om-500s/audiotechnica ML1000l's for drums and bass into a behringer 1202 then into my SB audigy (24bit) soundcard. My recording sound alright but lack a certain level of clarity and the high ends seem too bright and get dull if I EQ them down.

The last thing I'd be worried about right now is your sound card.

Right now, you have a bit of the double whammy going on here with the el-cheapo condenser mic going in to the el-cheapo mixer.

The next step up would be . . . uh . . . take your pick. :D But get a better mic and a better method of amplifying it and you'll notice an immediate improvement. My intial thought would be to audition some mics that aren't as bright so you don't have to go mucking around with the EQ that doesn't really seem to be doing anything for you anyway.

Some really nice budget condensers I would recommend that won't probably won't sound too bright, and won't break the bank, either: CAD M179, Studio Projects B1, and Oktava MK319.

Also, if your recordings are lacking some clarity, it's likely you need to back off the mic a bit to lessen proximity effect.

Good luck.

Back