Next step in home studio?

xcrunner28

So I think I've reached the point where I can say my studio is getting better than just the typical home setup. I have an 8 track firewire interface (io26) a good selection of mics both condenser and dynamic and a good computer to record on. Now i've reached the point though where I don't know what to look for to upgrade my studio, I need to know what equipment I need to start looking at or purchasing to be able to expand my total number of channels and be able to add some signal processing gear like compressors and equalizers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

i don't know the io26, but at a quick glance it looks like it has 8 on board mic preamps and 16 channels of adat, which means you could buy an 8 channel preamp like behringer's ada8000.

i'm not recommending that piece of gear specifically, but any 8 channel adat unit will double your number of input channels.

"which 8 channel adat preamp" is a pretty popular question on here, so have a search for that, but remember, what you're looking for doesn't need to be an interface (firewire port).....just an 8 channel adat preamp.

you also have a stereo digital SPDIF option, so that's another one to search for if you think a total of 10 inputs would cut it.

i don't have any hardware processing apart from the eqs on some preamps, so i'll not even attempt to answer that!
but i guess people will want to know what kind of thing you record, and what you want to hear from outboard gear.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
So I think I've reached the point where I can say my studio is getting better than just the typical home setup. I have an 8 track firewire interface (io26) a good selection of mics both condenser and dynamic and a good computer to record on. Now i've reached the point though where I don't know what to look for to upgrade my studio, I need to know what equipment I need to start looking at or purchasing to be able to expand my total number of channels and be able to add some signal processing gear like compressors and equalizers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Hello xc...I feel your pain. :laughings: I started out in our barn and looked around the web for barnrecording.com and came up with this place and been here ever since -for it's a really cool site. ;)

Now we have moved to a large empty office building / work area ...now with multi recording rooms, separate control room and a live room that is 100 x 100 and two stories high.... we are certainly not a home recording set up any more but that is where our roots are and we are very fortunate to have what we have now.

Now are you looking to expand in the box or to go with out board processing?
My personal preference is to use out board gear for more of an analog feel to the recordings but we have FX in the box as well.

Take a look in the classifieds here on HR and you will find that Harvey Gerst is selling off some studio rack gear like parametric and graphic EQs and other stuff ( I already got his RNCs).
You can all ways find Rack mounted microphone preamps there as well! That are a very good thing to have a few different flavors of.

If you want to talk more in detail please don't hesitate.

:cool:

i don't know the io26, but at a quick glance it looks like it has 8 on board mic preamps and 16 channels of adat, which means you could buy an 8 channel preamp like behringer's ada8000.

i'm not recommending that piece of gear specifically, but any 8 channel adat unit will double your number of input channels.

"which 8 channel adat preamp" is a pretty popular question on here, so have a search for that, but remember, what you're looking for doesn't need to be an interface (firewire port).....just an 8 channel adat preamp.

you also have a stereo digital SPDIF option, so that's another one to search for if you think a total of 10 inputs would cut it.

i don't have any hardware processing apart from the eqs on some preamps, so i'll not even attempt to answer that!
but i guess people will want to know what kind of thing you record, and what you want to hear from outboard gear.

hope that helps.
Thanks this is what I needed to know I'll start searching for some adat preamps.

Why do you feel you need to upgrade your studio?

If there is something in particular you are not happy with then that is your weak link and you can look at upgrading that.

If you're happy with your tracking and mixing then why upgrade, Be happy with what you have and save your money for the time when you reach a situation where you can't do what you need/want to do with what you have and need something or to replace something that breaks

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket that you just have to spend you could:
1) get room treatment as you can never have enough of that
2) blow $3k on a rackmounted strobe tuner
3) send it to me (I accept paypal :D)

Outboard mixer would be nice with effects send return. The Tascam digital w/ a Creamware or RME ADAT interfaces would be nice. How much do you want to spend?

A good compressor would be helpful --> dbx or ART or behringer on the affordable side, Manley or Urei on the real real spendy side.

Want to build your own compressor? do a search for analag D-AOC, G1176, or variounts of the 1176 you can get schematics and PCB's and part for very easily

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=39570.0
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=33604.0

For outboard effects, you can find all manner of Lexicons used, Alesis micro's are a nice place to start (a lot packed into a small space)

Get a copy of Home Recording For Musicians. It is old, geared toward analog, but just replace "Tascam 38" with "firepod/ADAT"

Back