Next Purchase?

sixways

Ok guys, I need some help here. I currently have:

M-Audio Firewire 410
M-Powered Protools 7.1
2.2 ghz Turion Laptop with 1 gig of Ram
1 behringer b1 condenser mic
ART Tube MP preamp (model 127, currently $39 on Zzounds.com, seemingly adds nothing to mix music)
1 Shure SM58 mic
250gig Lacie HD
M-Audio Radium 49 midi controller
M-Audio BX8 monitors
Various other programs

I'm ready to make a purchase, and I am unclear on what to get next. I've thought about a better mic (maybe Studio Projects or AKG). I've thought a better preamp (anything other than the ART, perhaps a M-Audio Tampa or Octane). I've thought perhaps getting the Firewire 1814 to have more inputs (that honestly, I don't need right now). I've thought about acoustic treatment of which I currently have none.

Any suggestions?

Sorry it its the wrong forum.

Thanks,

I would get anoth mic dude. Start playing with placement and technique before buying other gear for your chain. I always opt for the mic purchase over anything else though. I think you can never have enough to choose from.

Let me know what you decide.

sixways said:
I'm ready to make a purchase, and I am unclear on what to get next.
... in which case, it appears that you don't need to buy anything at all. Believe me, if it isn't obvious, than that should be the tip-off. If the money is just burning a hole in your pocket, music lessons are always a worthwhile investment... probably a better investment than most.

j-boy said:
... in which case, it appears that you don't need to buy anything at all.
Seconded.

Practicing is free.

A good book on music theory costs very little and will do you more good than a whole locker full of mics.

Ask yourself this question --- what is my current setup doing (or not doing) that if corrected would make me more productive? If the honest answer is nothing or nothing much then you're pretty much all set for now.

The other side of this question is about your plans in a year, two years, five years, ten years. Do you see yourself as a songwriter/composer/rock star? Or a behind the scenes type like an engineer/producer/film scorer? Position yourself now for the future and you'll have a goal to work towards.

Back