Next logical step?

Kaputo

Here's what i've done so far. Record live into Yamaha 4 track, Rerecord on to HDD via RCA outs into my SB AWE 64. Edit with SoundForge and burn to CD.

My system consists of:
AMDK6-2 400,
Via chipset mobo,
128 ram.
18gig Western Digital IDE HDD.
Win 98.

Yes, im new to pc recording but not to pc's or drumming. And I am in the market for a pc upgrade. And would like to do multitracking on it. I've heard some things about AMD not being the way to go. Still have no clue as to what software/hardware is best for me as far as recording. I fear going completly digital. Guess i need to research more.

Anyone Been in my shoes lately? Please Let me know what path you took. I'm ready to dive in.

OH, also I have an SB LIVE! card and Cakewalk but havent used either yet. I think I need a patch for my Sb or mobo. The one time i tried the SB it was all clicky.

O.K. heres one real question.
My 18 gig hdd is split in 3. 2 gig for the OS, and 2 more 8 gig partitions. Is this a good thing to do for home recording?

Thanks in advance.

Kap

P.S I'm ready to spend a bunch of cash!!

Cakewalk Pro 9 w/SB live! is what I use and it works fine. I also use Cool Edit 2000 for playback, conversions etc. of .wav and MP3 files. I have a PII 350 running Win 98 and haven't had a problem. Large audio files eat RAM so you may need to increase your RAM. Without question, digital is the way to go. I too was a little hestitant about going completely digital. However, I jumped in with both feet and haven't regretted it one byte.

Back