Newby MIDI Controller question

Shoulderpain

I just bought this and its on its way: M-Audio AXIOM 49 Advanced 49-Key Semi-Weighted USB MIDI Controller

So here's my question: As this controller has it's own interface and connects to PC via USB port, how would I, or even could I, run a microphone or guitar through it so that I can also lay down vocal or real guitar tracks? Is this possible? Is there a way to use a microphone with the keyboard and use software to make vocoder tracks?

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.

I'm not completely sure, but I dont think its possible...
As it will probably be using Midi over USB (MIDI cant hold audio btw) it wont be able to send anything other than MIDI signals to your computer, so it wouldn't be able to send audio that you want..

Hmmm

What do I need to bridge my vocal microphone and my guitar to my PC... do I need another MIDI interface?

What I was thinking was, if the keyboard had a MIDI interface in it already, then maybe I could run other things through it.

MIDI can only do MIDI.. It can't do audio...
You need an audio interface to get audio on your computer..

Do you have a brand or model suggestion?

Okay, well, I'm pretty sure I have the keyboard I want.

I just need to be able to bridge vocals and guitar, so do any of you have a suggestion for a make and model of MIDI Interface?

Also, I really want to be able to get some good vocal effects ideally in real time. Vocoder and harmonizing and all of that. Do you have any ideas how I can get that kind of result. Would it be in my software, or is it a vocal pre amp I need?

Thanks BTW!

Midi does not handle audio signals. What you are looking for is a converter. For a mic and guitar, you might consider something like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha/

This is a converter that can also do midi. It runs off your usb bus power, has inputs for mic and guitar, plus cubase software so you can put it all together and run your vocoder and harmonizer plug-ins. And it's not a bad price.

Hope this helps.

You do not need a MIDI interface for audio... Do I have to say it again to make you understand?

You need an audio interface like a Presonus Firepod or something..

This is the Newbie section, all questions are fair and if someone doesn't fully understand what he is asking, then we should try to help him out.

Cheers,

Sorry m8, dont pay attention to me, its just me being annoyed with everything and taking it out on you ^^
Well, now that you understand, jsut look around, the presonus range is pretty good for beginners :)

Back