Newbies second try... Please advice

Pedro

Hi,

Heres my second try. The set up is the same as last time.

I recorded directly to hard drive (without a preamp) using Cubase Vst 3.5. For noise removal I used Cooledit.

The soundcard is a Soundblaster Live Platinum. The instruments are an electric guitar, the rest are midi-instruments. The microphone I used is a very basic one that came with my soundcard.

The tune (Straight up the Waters) is available at:
http://www.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3gen.pl?aid=16720&song=/IUMA/Bands/Olaus_frn_Laos/audio/Olaus_frn_Laos_-_Straight_up_the_Waters.mp3

Feedback is very much appreciated.

Pedro

Hey this is a good one...I liked all the vocals, particularly the back-ups...lyrics cool...there may be some things you might wanna listen to, tho, and these are just the things that I feel could be improved upon recording/mixing wise....except for leading up to the start of the vocals, the drums seem too loud...the sound effect at about 1:31, 2:16, and 2:53 was cool but too loud also..at 1:04 there's a bit of a glitch in the flow, like maybe something had been left out...the whole thing needs a bass line of something even if it's synth...this is a damn good song and you're a good musician...and yer voice is either growing on me or it's getting better and better...I really liked this one...gibs

Thanks for your feedback. I agree on the drums being a bit loud. Others have had the same comment. I guess mixing through computer speakers isn't to be recommended... Do you have any advice on how to achieve a good (synth) baseline?

Pedro

Well, you could use a midi bass...or you could check out www.fruityloops.com ........ their most expensive product has some very cool synth sounds...and you'd like their drums anyway...easy to play with and you can tweak 'em to sound almost (I said almost, mind you) real...and there's lots of keyboards out there that aren't expensive that you can peck out bass parts on ...and you can download for FREE the TS-404 soft synth (it's an earlier version of what's in fruityloops) at http://www.sonic-syndicate.com/ ......that way you can check it out and not have to buy fruityloops if you already have a drum maker....hope this helps...gibs

You know, I've got to start posting before gibs, because I always seem to agree with what he says. It makes me look like a bandwagon jumper! Seriously though, I agree with his assessment again. I found the sound effect a little loud, and the drums as well. Good job though. It's interesting that you used the computer mic again, didn't you buy an NT1 or something like that recently? In addition to the computer speakers, try checking the mix through an alternate setup, even if it's just headphones. That should help you find problem areas in your mixes. Anyway, good job.

Hi,

Yes, you are right, I just got an Art tube pre-amp and an NT1. They sound great. The recording here was done a few weeks ago though when I hadn't got them yet. Next time I'll use them though, I sure hope it makes a difference...

Peter

Back