Newbies first try....

What didja use to record? (tape, mics, software, instruments?...Enjoyed the back-ups and it's a nice song...a bass would really give the tune a fuller sound, I think...gibs

Hi,

I recorded directly to hard drive (without a preamp) using Cubase Vst 3.5. For noise removal I used Cooledit.

The soundcard is a Soundblaster Live Platinum. The problem with this card is that all the midi sounds are very low volume which means that when I record them as audio at full midi volume in order to use the VST plug-ins I have to increase gain a lot which makes the sound rather bad.

The instruments are an acoustic guitar, the rest are midi-instruments. The microphone I used is a very basic one that came with my soundcard.

I have now upgraded to a Rode NT1 and an ART preamp. I hope this will make quite a difference.....

Thanks for your feedback.

Pedro

[This message has been edited by Pedro (edited 03-28-2000).]

Hi,

'frn' is supposed to be 'från', which is 'from' in Swedish. Perhaps we'd better change the name before going global....

Pedro

Pedro, the song gave me a really weird feeling...I don't mean that in a bad way, just weird. Kind of creepy...I don't know why. I admit that I didn't like it at first, but I played it several times and it's struck a chord with me. I like music that elicits an emotional response, and this one creeps the hell out of me! I agree with gibs about adding a bass. I like the droning organ patch in the background. Good job man. Welcome to the world of recording. Post more as you go.

Thanks for your feedback. I just got my NT-1 and Art pre-amp. I must say that things sound a lot better now (especially from a noise perspective). Before I used the built-in preamp in my sound card = mucho noise. I had to use heavy noise reduction in Cooledit which messed up the sound (especially the high end) a bit. Hopefully I will not have to resort to this now.

Pedro

Pedro,

For your first try, this was great. Your vocal style is really interesting. It was a pleasure to hear it. I agree with gibs and CMiller, try to put a bass line in there to fatten it up a bit and see how that sounds.

Keep `em coming.

Back