newbie... yeah totally...

blackmusic

hey i play guitar, and have recently been getting into drums... I know some of the drum lingo... im looking for a decent set ($800 most) that would be suitable for playing hard rock/metal. My preferences? Well not really that many cept i like a deep bass sound... What would some decent sets be? Oh, and i need some type of hardware and cymbals... (still under 800)

~thanks

You'd probably be better off finding a used kit in decent condition. You also didn't say how many pieces you wanted, which obviously greatly affects price. If you want a fair amount of toms, I would recommend a Pearl Export kit (the newer variety). IMO, they're the best for the money. Hardware wise, the basics are a throne (don't use a chair...just don't), hihat stand, bass drum pedal, snare stand, and then the requisite stands to hold your toms and cymbals (some of this stuff is often included). Any of the big three cymbal makers (Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian) make quality entry level cymbals. The Paiste Alpha cymbals are probably the best value IMO. You will need a ride, some hihats, and at least one crash, preferably two. You can usually get combo packs that contain enough cymbals to get you started.

[edit]
Just saw this, which may interest you.

The Mapex V series are cheap, sound great and visually, "very attractive" to put it lightly. :D Anywhere you buy 'em, the price includes hardware. Otherwise, check out the new Yamaha YD series. They're including hardware & cymbals, at least for now. (probably not great ones, but enough to get by for a while).

Just my $0.02 US. :p

Isaiah

I would recommend thinking a little more on what it is you want to do.

If you want to be a drummer long term and plan on putting genuine energy and discipline into it you should save up a little more cheese and buy the set you want. If you don't, you will surely regret buying "beginner shit". Save up 2 grand and start looking at your options. think of it this way: if you have saving up 2,000 bones, you're almost halfway there! :)

5 piece

well, i'm looking for a 5 piece to start... and my goal is to learn to play percussion at a respectable level. I'm really looking to play everything at a 'respectable' level. I already play the clarinet (in which i was considered one of the top 10 on all of l.i. new york), guitar, piano, saxophone, bass (stand up), and want to play drums. I'm looking for an entry level kit that would sound decent on tape. My primary instrument is the guitar so i dont want to cut that deep into those funds, if ya know what i mean. I hope that would yield some more ideas...

~thanks

As already indicated, the Mapex V series and the Yamaha YD are basic entry level kits (you could also include the Pearl Forum and Tama Swingstar and a few others - in the entry level).

These are all fair sounding kits - but nothing I would consider "gigging or recording quality". You could certainly learn how to play on these kits. Moving up to a Mapex M, Yamaha Stage Custom, Pearl Export or Tama RockStar would get you into a "semi-professional kit (which could be used to gig and possibly record). I personally think the Yamaha Stage Customs are the best "semi-pro" kit.

The entry level kits are about $400-$500 and with some basic Zildian ZBT or Sabian B8 cymbals (about $200) would put you at or below your $800.

If you move up to a "semi-pro" kit you're looking at about $700-$800 for the kit - which with cymbals will put you at about $1000.

You get more for your money buying used, but you need to know what to look for (worn tuning lugs, damaged baring edges, etc.)

dw/pacific cx-series drum set

buy a dw/pacific cx-series drum set. i use them myself the sound
great!!!!!!($699) a for the cymbals i would recimend camber cymbals. there not hafe as good as the zildjian z custom but thay
can pass until you get you some more green stuff.

oh! and by the way those camber cymbals are about $30.00 each

zeke

Shit! My cymbals are worth more than my shells
That's probably not too uncommon. You can get by with cheaper kits if you use good heads and know how to tune well, but there's nothing you can do to make a crap cymbal sound good...besides not hitting it. Sweet silence.

Want cheap cymbals? If you can, try and find someone who sells Argent cymbals. They're competitively cheap, but there are a few winners - they make an awesome sounding crash that's extremely affordable...Unfortunately these are pretty hard to find, but call up my friend Len at 1-888-6MUSIC1 and he can tell you all about 'em.

Isaiah

TO ELEVATE

NO! ELEVATE I DON'T LIKE CAMBERS INFACT, I DON'T PLAY CAMBERS!!!!!!!!!!! I PLAY AA SABNIANS AND THE GUY ASK FOR SOMTHING UNDER $800.00 BUCKS!!!!! WHAT THE HELL WAS I SUPOST TO DO?

DON'T MEANT TO MACK YOU MAD BUT THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

NO! ELEVATE I DON'T LIKE CAMBERS INFACT, I DON'T PLAY CAMBERS!!!!!!!!!!! I PLAY AA SABNIANS AND THE GUY ASK FOR SOMTHING UNDER $800.00 BUCKS!!!!! WHAT THE HELL WAS I SUPOST TO DO?
You're supposed to hit your caps lock button.

Anyway, $800 is a slim budget, but any used Zildjian or Paiste cymbal is gonna sound better than a new Camber. I would recommend Sabian, as the sounds are nice, but I've broken every Sabian cymbal I've ever owned. No broken Paiste and one slightly cracked Zildjian that I bought used 11 years ago. I've just had bad luck with Sabian.

set

id recommend also the dw/pdp cx set,its good drum for the price range.But be ware of the hardware not that goodwell it depends if your are planing on going crazy on em or not.( I got myself the PDP BX with DW hardwareVERY GOOD DRUMS AND THE BEST HARDWARE EVER!!!!!) oh and either get camber cymbals or stagg cymbals

Back