Newbie With Potential

Justplay

I have modestly dabbled in home recording, but would like to make a slightly bigger commitment.

I picked up a BOSS BR-1600 multi-track recorder. I have a decent Yamaha keyboard, some nice mics and more guitars, amps and accessories than I can count. I have been playing around with this stuff set-up in my home office (converted bedroom), but we are planning to move soon and I have an opportunity to have a dedicated space for this hobby.

We are moving soon to a home with just over an acre of land. There is an insulated two story garage/shop about 100' behind the house. The neighboorhood has only large lots of 1 to 2 acres. Most are rectangler in shape, so next door neighbor proximatey is fairly close. The shop building is maybe just over 200' from the neighbors house. It is so quiet out there, I can here my wife talking on the phone from the back of the property. Very peaceful.

Part of the shop building includes a 12' X 18' room that had been used for garden tools, etc. Construction is 2" X 4", insulated, finished sheetrock with concrete floor and aluminum windows. There are double doors to the outside and a single door from the shop area. No heat, but plenty of extra power onhand to install some sort of a furnace or heatpump system.

My objective is to improve the space. Primary considerations are security, temp control, comfort and some level of sound proofing. While I'm not planning to rehearse a rock band with multiple Marshall stacks, I would hope to host occasional jams and be able to use the space at most any hour without disturbing others.

Any suggestions where I can learn how to convert this space on a limited budget? I'm not much of a DIY guy.

I'm not much of a DIY guy.
Welcome to the board. Stick around and you might learn to be one.:D There are tons of DIY threads here. Once you start to understand WHAT you need, then you can research HOW to do it yourself. Most of the stuff for improving the Isolation and Treatment of the space is quite easy once you understand what to do. After you move, take some pics and measure the space and post it here. You may get a good amount of help directing you to answers to your questions.
fitZ:)

I have modestly dabbled in home recording, but would like to make a slightly bigger commitment.

I picked up a BOSS BR-1600 multi-track recorder. I have a decent Yamaha keyboard, some nice mics and more guitars, amps and accessories than I can count. I have been playing around with this stuff set-up in my home office (converted bedroom), but we are planning to move soon and I have an opportunity to have a dedicated space for this hobby.

We are moving soon to a home with just over an acre of land. There is an insulated two story garage/shop about 100' behind the house. The neighboorhood has only large lots of 1 to 2 acres. Most are rectangler in shape, so next door neighbor proximatey is fairly close. The shop building is maybe just over 200' from the neighbors house. It is so quiet out there, I can here my wife talking on the phone from the back of the property. Very peaceful.

Part of the shop building includes a 12' X 18' room that had been used for garden tools, etc. Construction is 2" X 4", insulated, finished sheetrock with concrete floor and aluminum windows. There are double doors to the outside and a single door from the shop area. No heat, but plenty of extra power onhand to install some sort of a furnace or heatpump system.

My objective is to improve the space. Primary considerations are security, temp control, comfort and some level of sound proofing. While I'm not planning to rehearse a rock band with multiple Marshall stacks, I would hope to host occasional jams and be able to use the space at most any hour without disturbing others.

Any suggestions where I can learn how to convert this space on a limited budget? I'm not much of a DIY guy.

Cool site and setup for a build. Take your time, read a lot, and have fun. Keep updating this thread, pls.

There are a millon considerations, which, if you're like me, just means lots of fun. Take a look at humidity and temp so your instruments can be cared for ad your cables won't rust to your amps.

One thing I wish I'd known before starting my own project is how right angles/parallel walls can negatively impact your ability to hear a mix correctly.

But damn, sounds like you have a great opportunity. Have fun!

Back