newbie with 10 grand (project)

jbucla2005

I need to come up with gear I would get if I had a 10k budget. What I have now is limited (mbox 2 + protools + mac mini, basically.) I would like to add an assortment of mics, a summing box (?,) a great mic preamp, software, and anything else I might need. My idea is to make a semi-transportable studio for various environments. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I forgot to mention I want to focus on sound quality for recording mainly acoustic instruments for jazz and blues stuff. Like jazz trios, quartets, blues, etc.

I forgot to mention I want to focus on sound quality for recording mainly acoustic instruments for jazz and blues stuff. Like jazz trios, quartets, blues, etc.
If you want to focus on sound quality, take the 10 grand and invest in your education because that is what you really need. There's that old saying, "If you have to ask..."

actually I'm a student studying audio production, but only 3rd quarter. I don't actually plan to spend 10k on gear, this is for a homework assignment. I posted this in another forum but they told me to move it here. I really don't know where to begin with this. Hopefully some ideas can get me started. Thank you.

I want:

tube ribbon mic,
tube condenser,
mixer (or summing box?)
software,
mic preamp,
cables,
etc.

Can you link me to some example systems or something? You're not being very helpful. I'm trying to learn something here.

You're not being very helpful. I'm trying to learn something here.

LOL, you're not trying to learn your trying to get your homework done for you haha

A better question would be

Do you think [insert gear] this would be a good system for recording recording acoustic instruments

example
----
I'm thinking of buying a

rode ntk
and 2 sm7's
a vintech 1273
Sibelius 5
bunch of xlr and 1/4 inch cables

To record vocalists and acoustic guitars. I will be recording a maximum of 4 fours at once.

what do you think?
-----

Now, there would reasons why I would and wouldn't choose the gear above. There is some stuff missing, maybe some prices won't fit the budget....but isn't that what YOUR supposed to be finding out?

Come back with a system, do your research on prices and then ask for opinions :)

I want:

tube ribbon mic,
......why?
tube condenser,
......why?
mixer (or summing box?)
......why?
software,
mic preamp,
cables,
etc.

These three are on the right track. Every digital studio certainly needs software. And *every* studio needs mic preamps and cables..........and the all-important "etc." Hell, you get +74 sound quality stats from "etc." alone! Combine that with the instant +1 million sound quality you get from each tube you own and you're well on your way to being the sound god!

This is all not to mention the sound quality stat multiplier of 100 thousand you get from making the extra D/A and A/D conversions required for summing your stems through distorted/noisy analog circuitry instead or just doing it in the computer like the lesser informed peasants do.

Can you link me to some example systems or something?

Well....you asked for it - and this is really about the only "example systems" there are: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/recording-packages?N=100001+330289

I wouldn't recommend buying any of that crap though. This stuff doesn't come as a "system". YOU make what you have into YOUR system.

You're not being very helpful. I'm trying to learn something here.

Hey, check this out - everything you need to know is right here!

And if you can't get enough from that link, then go to the microphone forum, and read the sticky at the top called "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?" The most informative posts are by Harvey Gerst. Read them....all of them...and you can learn what is actually important about the differences in microphones.....(probably the least important of which is if it has a stupid vacuum tube in it, or connected to it, or in it's name even if it doesn't actually have one at all - yea - it happens).

edit: Here - I'll even make it easy for you: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=27030

Last edited:
Tweakheadz web will get you started.

Learn the stuff: http://www.tweakheadz.com/

Tweakhead..........that place has information that gives a wide knowledge of recording and what you need in relation to what you want to do. You will never become a know-it-all. Too much stuff, and it changes very fast. Might be you have the latest thing this year, and next year.............all new ideas and more toys to buy. Keeping up is impossible, I just find wnat works for me........and keep using it.

Did we get an A?

You're not being very helpful! :p haha

Seriously though, wtf are they teaching at this school? A third-quarter audio student doesn't know what they'd get for $10,000? Shit, I've been doing this less than a year and I've got a pretty good idea of what I'd get!

Seriously though, wtf are they teaching at this school?

It's 99% down to laziness ;)

Why research the assignment when you can just type it in an online forum, wait for a few hours, return and find the answers for you?

Seriously, people are getting so bluddy lazy. :(

The time it spent him signing up and typing this thread could have been used searching for his answers. So much effort and frustration typing www.google.com and looking into recording equipment eh? :mad:

Assuming that the whole homework assignment thing is the truth: I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and guess he attends a high school with 4 classes a day (some schools call these classes "quarters")...and this is the 3rd class.

Still...what a silly assignment. Any teacher that is teaching "gear sluttiness" instead of actual usable information....is kind of a lame teacher, don't you think? Unbelievable this teacher still has a job, actually....to me, at least.

edit: I didn't notice that the thread had the word "project" on the end....

Last edited:
lazyness

in my college where i study music technology, we actually learnt about things then we were asked to build an imaginary studio, we werent really given a budget, we just had to say how much, but we did have to justify that.

we couldnt say .. oh yea 1 million quid for a piddly little 2 track studio and have the rest left over.

but i actually did my homework, i researched what kinds of mics and pre's were best suited for what purposes, and did they fit my type of studio.

my budget was 75k but i had fuck loads left over cos i did my research into equal quality, but slightly cheaper products

the starter of this thread needs to buck up their ideas and stop gettin others to do his/her homework for them.

in my college where i study music technology, we actually learnt about things then we were asked to build an imaginary studio, we werent really given a budget, we just had to say how much, but we did have to justify that.

Cool, man...that's awesome. Got any textbooks left over? I bet you could sell them in the classifieds forum on here...I might even buy one myself.

Back