Newbie to VO choosing my first Mic

Any recommendations on monitors?

There are about a zillion monitor threads -- and a lot of people with more monitor knowledge than I -- on this forum, so poke around a little and you'll find a lot of information.

M-Audio BX5a's get the job done for me.

Any recommendations on monitors?

Check out the Tannoy "Reveal" range--good quality and not overly expensive.

Hmmm...I better be honest here. Normally I really push having decent monitors for mixing...but the question is, will you do much mixing for yourself or just send off your recorded V/Os to others? A lot of V/O artists never hear their own voices on anything other than their headphones when recording. If that's your case, maybe just get whatever headphones you used when in training so you know how you should sound on them.

...or search eBay for a set of 30 year old BBC LS3/5A monitors (you'll need an amp to drive them). Still one of the best monitors for voice in the world. (Both Rogers and Swisstone produced them under licence.)

Bob

Right now I don't plan on doing much mixing myself. Pretty much just for audition purposes on voices.com and sites like that.

Should I just invest in really good headphones for now instead of a monitor?

Thank you for all the help. I greatly appreciate it

At the risk of having hundreds of HR forum members descent on me for heresy....

If you're not mixing, don't worry about studio grade monitors. Spend the money that would have gone on speakers on acoustic treatment for your "voice booth". Do a bunch of trial recording and play them back on everything from your best stereo to the car CD to your iPod and, when you're happy with the sound, lock in the mic position and acoustic treatment of the area.

Buy decent headphones to wear but don't go silly on them either until the money is flowing in.

Once you start mixing fully producedand mixed ads or idents, THEN you need to invest in good monitors.

Good luck!

At the risk of having hundreds of HR forum members descent on me for heresy....

If you're not mixing, don't worry about studio grade monitors. Spend the money that would have gone on speakers on acoustic treatment for your "voice booth". Do a bunch of trial recording and play them back on everything from your best stereo to the car CD to your iPod and, when you're happy with the sound, lock in the mic position and acoustic treatment of the area.

Buy decent headphones to wear but don't go silly on them either until the money is flowing in.

Once you start mixing fully producedand mixed ads or idents, THEN you need to invest in good monitors.

Good luck!

I'll cautiously agree with this advice, but...

However you go about achieving your sound, please don't put yourself among the multitude of voices.com guys whose audio sounds like doodoo because they do their editing and processing on computer speakers or headphones, and can't hear what it actually sounds like.

Good luck.

...and I'll cautiously agree with you, CC.NYC!

But I spent 30+ years of my life doing sound for TV shows, including some you've likely watched, and never did any processing on the voice overs, other than adding compression when the V/O was fighting with background NATSOT or music. I firmly believe the key is a good voice, a good mic, good mic placement and a good acoustic space (which, for V/Os tends to mean pretty much dead).

Hence my advice. If the recording takes processing (which I agree does need good monitors) then the recording wasn't right in the first place.

Bob

Back