Newbie to Reason

chrisp200

Alright so I finally installed my version of Reason Adapted last night. Let me tell you, recording is going to be the hardest thing I ever had to learn but I am going to have fun doing it. I am obssessed with this program already.

Is reason only good for Media or does it do just as well as Pro tools when It comes to vocals Guitar, Bass, and drums?

I need to know how to record a track. Ive made a few drum beats that I like can I save them? I dont know how to get them on the grid to edit. Any information on this or anything else about Reason I would love to hear. Thankyou

Ok, here's the problem that you are going to have with the Adapted version of Reason. It's VERY limited. I don't believe that it lets you use refills (extra instruments). The drum beats you have...are they pre-recorded or were they made in Reason? I'm not sure how new you are to Reason, but most of its components only work with refills or rex files. Some of the instruments in it like Redrum and NN-19 allow for different things like short samples of wav and aiff and then soundfonts for the NN-XT.

So for the most part, everything made from Reason is within Reason.

There is no audio with Reason (as in recording your session through the mic or your guitar/basses. That's why you see most Reason users using something like Cubase or Sonar along with it. I'm using Cubase SX 1. There's an SX 3 available, but I don't feel like paying for the SX 3 update when SX 1 does what I need it to for now.

Anyhow, if you don't have extra cash for the audio software, you can download Kristal audio engine or Audacity (they're both freeware downloads) and then find all the plugins you can use (there's craploads of free plugins out there).

Reason can be one hell of a tool. I do mainly hip/hop, but I know many who use it for other genres as well. Actually, Nine Inch Nails uses it quite frequently.

If you want to listen to some hip/hop rap beats done totally in Reason, check out my site below.

chrisp200 said:
Alright so I finally installed my version of Reason Adapted last night. Let me tell you, recording is going to be the hardest thing I ever had to learn but I am going to have fun doing it. I am obssessed with this program already.

Is reason only good for Media or does it do just as well as Pro tools when It comes to vocals Guitar, Bass, and drums?

I need to know how to record a track. Ive made a few drum beats that I like can I save them? I dont know how to get them on the grid to edit. Any information on this or anything else about Reason I would love to hear. Thankyou

I know Reason 3, you can run it along side pro tools, at the same time. You can do drums,bass and guitar in reason but obviously the real thing sounds better. I haven't heard vocals in reason? besides the choir samples, or samples taken from another song/movie/tv whatever.

Saving them, well basically you just save the whole session as one. Or you can bounced the drum track out of reason into say pro tools.

When you say the edit grid, do you mean how you can choose a pattern number e.g A1, for your drums when you go into the edit grid click on the "show pattern lane" and then go to the little arrow pointing down and a drop menu comes down, than you click on the pattern you want to play first, and when it comes to the next pattern down to the drop down menu click the pattern No# and click on where you want it to start.

Or

You can program the drums in my using the onscreen keyboard, by playing it in real time, or click on the note in the grid.

Thankyou

So If I get something like Guitar Tracks Pro 3 from Cakewalk, will it be compatible with my Audiophile 2456 Soundcard? and is it strictly for Guitar? Or can I do bass, drums and voxs in it too?

chrisp200 said:
So If I get something like Guitar Tracks Pro 3 from Cakewalk, will it be compatible with my Audiophile 2456 Soundcard? and is it strictly for Guitar? Or can I do bass, drums and voxs in it too?

You can record any intrument with Guitar Tracks Pro 3, you get up to 32 channels.

"System requirements
Windows 2000, XP
800 MHz processor
128 MB RAM
100 MB free hard disk space
1024 X 768, 16-bit color
CD-ROM drive (for installation)
Windows-compatible sound card
Windows-compatible MIDI interface*
*Required for Remote Control/Synchronization
Note: Guitar Tracks Pro Version 3 does not support Windows 95/98/ME/NT" - Cakewalk.com

Back