'newbie' terminology question

It's when the 's' sounds from a singer ssssound really harssshh and ssssnakelike. To 'de-ess' is to cut out some of the high frequencies where these harsh sounds are coming from, to make the vocal more pleasant. A 'de-esser' automates this task.

Thanks Dirty,
Where does one find a de-esser if one needs such. I was recommended a specific mic for my vocal style (deep) but was also recommended a de-esser to go along with it.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a stand alone de-esser. I've only seen them in channel strips. I saw in another thread you were looking for a mic pre. May I suggest you go on ebay and look for a used Symetrix 528 (Make sure its not the 528E). It has a pre, de-esser, compressor and eq built into one unit. They can generally be had for less than $200. They are also upgradeable. Here's one for sale right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3708199217&category=23790

You can set up a de-esser out of most any compressor with side chain in/outs and an EQ.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm tracking the Symetrix on Ebay now. T-rat, that sounds a little over my head at this point in my 'recording career' (although you made it sound so simple). I've ordered a Behringer UB802 for a mic preamp, it's a small mixer and I'll have some EQ control. Will anything in the UB802 function as a de-esser? Also, I'll be doing my recording on a Fostex MR8. Are there any features built into it that any of you know of that can de-ess?

I'd get the mic first and worry about de-essing only if you need it. Your voice on that mic may not. If you do have problems, cut the highs a little with the eq on your mixer, and/or play with mic placement.

My preamp has a built in de-esser, and I've never used it.

Back