newbie TASCAM 388 question

drrats

I've got a chance to pick up a TASCAM 388 in okay condition (everything runs but it could use a service). I've done a search and read through the manual but haven't come across any clean answers on this in terms of routing possibilities. If anyone could help me out here that would be great.

Can the band play live to all 8 tracks and monitor off the desk, whilst I monitor off the tape (repro head). I'd ideally like to be able to hear how hard I'm hitting the tape as we go along. Perhaps this is not the 388's forte?

Also, could someone point me to somewhere (a thread or site perhaps?) that discussed how to thoroughly service and calibrate a 388?

Thanks for your help :)

You can't monitor off the head. What you'll be hearing is the mixer/monitor section first. There is a calibration forum here. I have asked a bunch of questions about calibrating the 388 in the past and got some very good guidance.

well I have a M308 mixer so I guess I could go from the tape outs of the 388, and go into the M308 if I really wanted to monitor off repro. The band can monitor of the 388 that way and I can be prepping the final mix on the m308 monitoring tape saturation/compression and doing the eq/panning.

I know this kind of defeats the purpose of having such a compact all in one recording device, but still. . . this will work right?

Back