Newbie Soundcard

PFDarkside

I'm looking to upgrade my soundcard from the stock one in my computer now. I'm thinking mid-range here, I don't need (nor can I afford ;)) a $1000 card. Do any come with XLR inputs? The ability to record 4 tracks simultaneously would be great. What are some brands/models to look at?

Sorry for the uninformed newbie question. :)

Oh yeah, assume Windows XP home and Cakewalk for the software.

The cheapest four channel card is probably the m-Audio Delta 44 at about $230.

It doesn't have XLR inputs, but it does have balanced 1/4" TRS jacks in a breakout box (switchable +4/-10). If you wanted XLR because you need mic preamps, then your best bet is probably external mic preamps or using the pres on a mixer. If you wanted XLR because that's just the kind of cable you wanted to work with, then don't worry, going from XLR to 1/4" TRS is no problem whatsoever.

Slackmaster 2000

Let's say I went with the Maya44. It appears as though I could only record 4 tracks at once, without an output, right? Like I wouldn't be able to record 4 sources and have a monitor on as well, right?

With the Inca88 and the Delta44 it looks like I'd be able to acutally give each source a monitor output, wouldn't I?

The XLR is just out of convinence. When I choose the mic preamps, I could just get a 4 channel unit with 1/4" outs, right?

A friend of mine has the Maya44 and I have the Inca88. He can essensially do the same as me, except I can record 8 tracks at a time, and he only 4. We can both monitor directly with the card, or through Sonars Input Monitoring option... No problem!

The same goes for the Delta 1010.

The XLR is just out of convinence. When I choose the mic preamps, I could just get a 4 channel unit with 1/4" outs, right?
Right!

Back