Newbie Question

Claudio

Hi to all.
I use midi recording from many years and i recently discover vst instruments (shame on me...).I found very difficult to use my Strato guitar (thru Roland GR-30 midi guitar sinth) as an midi input to any sequencer becuase i just don´t really know how to have a good midi configuration,from the GR-30,in order to transmit all the "feel" from my guitar to the pc.
So a few days ago ,a friend of mine show me Guitar Rig 4 wich i found very interesting becuase i can express myself thru my fingers freely ,i mean,no midi detunes,because the sound come out direct from the guitar thru the audio-in of my Presonus Audiobox.
Here goes the newbie questions.....:)
Is there any way to have a violin or sax or any other orchestra instruments coming out from my guitar ? I mean like it existed some kind of :
"Orchestra" Rig."Sax" Rig,etc.etc. ???
I know it sound weird but if they invented the differents sounds for the guitar maybe there is a way to transform the Strato sound into a classic guitar or a violin...
I thank you all for any kind of inlightment and help.
Best regards from Claudio

Hi, Claudio! :)

It's very difficult to capture the "feel" of guitar playing with a MIDI controller. I haven't kept up with the latest technology, but I seem to recall that they don't handle string bends well. The "bend" would be achieved with a separate controller message from the Note On messages, which describe a fixed pitch on the chromatic scale. I don't know how they do it these days, but you would used to have to preset the amount of bend - hardly conducive to free style playing.

An old-fashioned frequency-to-voltage converter driving an old-fashioned control voltage synth could certainly help transform the signal into another instrument voice in a more natural way, but those items are very rare and expensive.

Back