Newbie pleagued by ignorance and connection issues..

Adam B

What's up?

Just wondering...

I have a 1204fx and a crappy sound card with one RCA in and one RCA out.

The sound card is full duplex.

Essentially I am using the 1204 as a breakout box to connect my guitar equipment to my computer. I realize that I am not using the mixer to it’s fullest, but I am not out for anything fancy and I realize that with a better sound card I could do much more.

Later I may upgrade the sound card when extra money falls into my lap, and I am not connecting to anything other than a sound card at the moment.

Mainly I want to use this setup as a practice aide and to work on song ideas.

I want to connect the 1204 to that one RCA channel so that I can lay down some guitar to a software program like Cool Edit Pro 2.

I want to be able to come back and record additional tracks either with my drum machine or a software drummer.

After a basic rhythm is down, I will want to come back and record other tracks one at time while listening to the previous ones in my headphones via the sound card head phones out, and use Cool Edit Pro 2 to mix and edit the audio.

I don't think I NEED anything else (have the mixer, a preamp, the sound card, and the software) to actually make this setup work, except some cables/adapters and an idea of how to connect it all.

Can I set the “Source” to “Tape”, then connect the “Tape Output” R or L to the sound card RCA Input, then the sound card RCA output to the “Tape Input” and have the whole rig running on one RCA Send and one RCA Receive??

Any info will be helpful. Thx!

Here is an image of the top of the mixer: http://www.behringer.com//UB1204/UB-1204_top.jpg

Here is an image of the back of the mixer: http://www.behringer.com//UB1204/UB-1204_rv.jpg

how much ram and how fast is your computer. This will determine the quality and speed (buffer time) of the playback.

I have never seen a consumer sound card with one RCA plug for an analog input or an output. If there is one RCA jack as an input and one RCA jack as an output on your card, they are probably digital S/PDIF connectors, and so pluging an analog signal into them will be useless.

Almost invariably the analog ins and outs of consumer soundcards are stereo 1/8" minijacks. You need two cables, each with two 1/4" plugs on one end for the mixer output (input) and one 1/8" stereo miniplug on the other for soundcard input (output).

I did some checking and you are right on both counts:

1. It is a S/PDIF connector.

2. The connection I described in the previous post was useless. No sound into the system.

Seems like I should be able to use a cable with the L and R Tape Out's (RCA's) that goes into a single 1/8 stereo connector, then do the same thing for the return path.

Think that will work?? :confused:

vollyguy11 said:
how much ram and how fast is your computer. This will determine the quality and speed (buffer time) of the playback.

It's an AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz with 512Mb of Kingston HyperX DDR333 RAM.

I am running WinXP SP2.

Adam B said:
Seems like I should be able to use a cable with the L and R Tape Out's (RCA's) that goes into a single 1/8 stereo connector, then do the same thing for the return path.

Think that will work?? :confused:
In a word, yup.

Looks like that is getting me sound, but my speakers sound yucky, so I have to do some tests with my headphones and check the sound quality.

That's got her!

Sounds killer through the headphones!

Now, if I can only get my inputs setup correctly in CEP I will be the next Bob Rock.

:)

Nevermind...

Looks like I am back to square 1. I have some kind of loop happening. The sound I was hearing was internal to the mixer, not from the sound card.

I'm running an RCA to 1/8 from the Tape Out of the mixer to the Line In on the sound card and all I hear is "woooooooooooooooooooo" continiously.

Any thoughts out there?

What wouold be a good thing is if I could figure out how to eliminate that horrible noise and actually record some tunes!

I got it figured out... turns out I had a ground loop. I am now recording baby!

Mr. Bond, thx for the negativity. :) Can never have enough of that you know!

Back