newbie needs sync advice

framos

Hello Cubasers:

I'm using a Mac G4 with Cubase vst 32 v.5 and have recorded several songs with several tracks each. I copied a song by highlighting the various tracks and then SIMULTANIOUSLY dragging them into a file. Then I save them as data on a CD-RW using Toast Titanium. Then I took the CD to a professional studio for mastering.
But when the producer dragged the files into ProTools, all the files were justified left. For example, I recorded a sax solo in the middle of the song. But when the part was transfered to ProTools, the part ended up justified left. In other words, anything that I recorded -- no matter where it was recorded -- ended up left. Nudging the tracks in place was not an option, according to the producer.
He suggested that I purchase an outboard sync device. Needless to say, I have no clue what he was talking about.
He says this device will allow me to transfere muti-track files as a block and in proper sync.
Is this option included in Cubase? What brand do you suggest?
HELP?

framos

Ask the engineer

If you are paying for this service - DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR MORE SPECIFIC INFORMATION. It may cost you on the studio clock but they can teach you alot in a short period of time.

I am clueless when it comes to MAC's - but if you were providing the song for mastering usually a 2 track mix down is expected.

good luck,
brian

The files are justified left because all you did was copy your audio files into Protools. The file that you save (song.all) has the info as to how these files are placed and treated in a song. If your computer and the producers computer have midi or another source to communicate, they can be synced. Just make sure both computers have identical sync settings. Set your computer as the master and his as the slave. It is better if you can connect the sound digitally, so you don't convert to analogue and back to digital. Good luck.

Back