Newbie: Moving into the world of Pro Tools

Redtortoise39

This is quite a vague question (since I've never used any music recording software before). I want to get into Pro Tools but dont have the slightest clue where to begin. I would like to purchase software that I can build upon (and not have to keep buying new versions constantly), while possibly buying some instructional material as well. I know I've left this very broad, but any help would be appreciated.

ProTools has moved (for the latest version) to a subscription service - you have to pay for a license and updates on a regular basis.

Are you set on ProTools for a particular reason, or just because you heard 'that's what everyone uses'?

Take a look at Reaper - free to download the full version, $60 to register it - which is good for two full version changes (not just the periodic updates). There is an extensive user manual, a user help forum and a ton of videos available.

For starters, thanks for the feedback. I am not set on purchasing ProTools, I just want the most bang for the buck (Features/compatibility etc.). I'm just looking for something quality, that I can stick with and grow with. At the same time, something reputable with tons of learning resources available. Nothing generic, just a program with tons of features combined with a fairly easy learning curve.

I would not put the Poo tools noose around your neck, there are plenty of software packages out there for a lot cheaper price, reaper as suggested above.

Alan.

I think that Mike gave you the answer to all of what you just said. I've been a Reason user for 8 years now, but I'm learning Reaper because it is everything you asked for: quality, bang for the buck, reputable, tons of learning resources, more features than you'll ever learn to use....

Download the software (it'll nag you to pay your WHOPPING $60 until you get a license but is otherwise 100%). Also, if you're interested, go to Propellerhead.se and take a look at Reason (also free download, reputable, tons of learning resources, lots of features). Reason's free demo, however, will not nag you, it will just stop working after 30 days and it is not fully functional.

Back