newbie mix

RobbieL

mr. president
my dad's cover band recently did a demo for promotional purposes and i was able to get copies of all the tracks from the session. so i decide to throw a rough mix of one of the covers just to see what u guys think. note: this is a cover.

equipment:
-custom built PC w/ 2GB RAM, Intel Core2 Duo (2.4 ghz)
-Mackie Control Universal
-Sonar 8.5 Producer
-Motu HD192

What I hear is:

Sounds like you could set your Hi pass filters up a bit more or cut more db, if your using them at all. (if not I think you need em) low mids are very bulky, no separation.

There are three octaves, between 110hz and 880hz. Thats where I hear clutter.

Levels sound OK.

Cool song, nice performance.

What I hear is:

Sounds like you could set your Hi pass filters up a bit more or cut more db, if your using them at all. (if not I think you need em) low mids are very bulky, no separation.

There are three octaves, between 110hz and 880hz. Thats where I hear clutter.

Levels sound OK.

Cool song, nice performance.
thanks, man. i'll take a look at all that

Mix sounds muddy. It's all very well recorded. The guitars don't sound stereo. I think if you widen them out it'll improve the sound dramatically. Trombones are about the only thing cutting through the mix. Leave them there and try to do the same with vocals by fiddling around with mids and hi's. I agree with PDP.

I agree with much of the advice already given. It sounds like a fine recording. Somehow the horns wind up having the most clarity while still retaining their fullness. The guitar in comparison does sound kind of muddy. Vocal treatment is somewhere in between the two. It's a good perfomance too. Sort of a mash up of the black crowes and the original.

Back