Newbie looking for some feedback

peugotpigeon

Hey there. I'm new to this whole clinic thing but it looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a try. I recorded an album length demo about five months ago in my brother's amateur studio before moving up to Boston. It was my first time using ProTools and recording so I was just wondering what you all thought. I've already gotten the opinion of my family and friends and I was lookng for something a little more objective.

The setup was a G4 running ProTools LE and I recorded using a Neumann TLM 103 (my brother's). There're a lot of layered acoustic guitars, sometimes distorted through a Sans Amp to give them a little punch... as a result the mix is a bit muddy, but I was really rushed and was doing everything by myself and basically didn't EQ anything at all. I'm just wondering what you all think overall and with respect to the songwriting.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

A handful of the songs are here:

http://lostpilot.com/old/FiftyMissionCrush.html

My roommate put them up on his band's website so if you want to check out his band along the way just visit lostpilot.com

Thanks.

I too am new to the forum, but as I listened to the song "That Girl" I wanted to hear the vocals a little more, it seemed to get better throughout the song (I don't know if it's just cause I got used to it), but I think they could come up a bit.

I also agree with you that it seems a bit muddy....however, that's where my knowledge of clearing that up ends. I swear my posts will become more intelligent in the future :)

Hey pigeon. Welcome.

I listened to I Will. Nice pretty song. I liked the idea of the piano part. Worked well.

The vocals lack a little presence. Sound a bit muffled. They're getting covered by the guitar, and to a lesser extent by the piano.

I think the guitars could have some of the lows rolled off (maybe up to 200hz or a bit higher) and help out.

Not sure about the vocals, maybe boost some mids? You could probably also nudge the overall level of them too

Alot going on at times and an overall overproduced quality.This song needs more basics.2 guitar trax,2vox,bass.IMO it would have bennefitted this song to have less going on.The real quiet guitar/vox parts are the strongest and most memorable.Not bad arrangement ,a little predictable,but I write predictable,too.:rolleyes: Mushy recording,no definate or crisp sounds.Lyrics get a little weak sometimes,witty at times,kinda tired of the lovesick/scorn theme.Not bad Newbie!!!!!!Way better than my first submission.

this is way better than my first submision also, heck its as good as my newer stuff to. anyway onto the song . i like the mixture of things you have in here the piano mixes well, you need some panning going on though because some of the instruments are realy stepping on others and the mix sounds like it could use up more of the stereo spectrum. all and all not bad for a first time i like it. see if you can perform a little magik on it and let us here it again thanks for sharing with us god bless tim pate

I only got to d/l one song:

Prospector Finds Peace - Guitars sound nice, I think it would be nicer with just a tinge more high frequency just for more definition. Vocalization is nice. I like the soft parts... very progressive!

I think the problem is that you need to do some extra bass rolloff on the guitar starting at around 350 hz or so. . . also need to cut a wide gouge out of the low mids around 200 hz when the vocals kick in. This will give the vocals some breathing room, and you'll be able to hear them a lot better without having to crank the volume up on them.

Other than that, I'd like to hear some electric guitar, bass, drums kick in when the song picks up intensity. This could be a great song with a little extra work.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm hoping to save up and buy myself a little studio setup over the next few months so I can start recording again. I knew so little when I first went into it and listening to some of the other songs on here has inspired me to get back into the recording end and really learn some techniques... for example, I hadn't even considered all this EQing stuff.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for books I might find about the basics of mixing, ie. something that might include suggestions like the aforementioned shifting EQ roll-offs when different parts come in etc. That stuff is really great and I'd love to learn more about it.

Thanks again.

I'll be sure and post more when I'm recording again. The whole idea of this BBS is so damn neat!

Back