Newbie info needed

imecho40

Hello,
I'm new to the homerecording scene,and am looking for some basic information. I want to rip some vinyl Lp's to cd's and need a little guidance.
I have an antiquated analog stereo system.It has a phonograph,small (cheapy) equalizer,tape deck,etc. I would like to connect this to my Line-in connection on my sound card,and use a program like Easy Cd to rip the songs.My only connection options are the headphone jack,or the two speaker jacks.Would either of these options be better than the other? I figure that my local Radio Shack with be able to supply me with some type of patch cable to do this task...Thanks for any info:)

I would say that you could try the headphone out to your line in. Buy a conector... and try it.

Riku

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have used the search option. I read the threads,but didn't see any info about using the headphone jack.I am not sure why this wouldn't be a visable option????

Personally, I would use the speaker line out's on your phono player and send those directly to your line-ins to your computer. Hit record on your comp and spin your vinyl. You may want to pause recording between each song so that it doesn't become one great big wav file.

or try both ways and see which one is better:D
I've used my MD headphones out to transfer tracks to my computer for further processing and that has worked fine...

Riku

My advice is do _not_ use the speaker outs on the hifi - speaker connections carry a hefty current as they have to drive the speaker cones Connecting this amount of power output to an electrostatically sensitive piece of equipment like your soundcard/pc is asking for disaster. You could pull it off succesfully but the downside is just too great.

Using the phono outs of the turntable will give an _incredibly_ weak signal - turntables produce a very small current which has to be preamplified before it can go to the main hifi amplifier. Connecting turntable to soundcard will give an almost inaudible signal in which the noise level is almost as high as the signal.

You can use the headphone out to line in without too much worry, but remember that headphone are just little speakers. There will be more current in the connection than from a line out. However, if you don't have a line out, the headphone out is the only option. Because the impedance of this connection etc is not designed for the purpose, the sound quality will not be optimal, but whether you will notice the degradation I guess depends on the quality of the hifi/soundcard and on the quality of the lp!

I'm happy to give advice on the vinyl to CD subject as I spend quite a bit of time doing it - I like vinyl but it's not much use for the car :-)

g'luck,

matt

Okay here is what I have done.I bought a 1/4 to 1/8 stereo plug,and a 6 foot patch cable to go from my headphone jack to my sound card line in plug.I used my onboard Cmedia sound chip,and applicable audio rack software to capture the analog signal.Using the volume control on the stereo system caused some heavy duty popping and other distortion on my pc speakers.This distortion was not on the Lp,but it was copied to the resulting Wave file.Turning the volume down on the stereo system did help some,but the recorded sound was too low.Even though the distortion was not on the LP,it was worse on some albums than it was on others...........Did I do something wrong????????????????????............I have a little bit of money invested in my pc speakers,and don't wish to abuse them................:).....Thanks..............:)

I have a 1.6 gig pentium processor,on a Soyo Dragon Plus Ultra motherboard.This board has a built in Cmedia sound chip installed.I was using the PCI Audio Rack software that comes with the chip.......:)Maybe I have some sort of impedance mismatch?????????????

I tried using Spin Doctor and the problem still exists.If I mute the line-in box on my volume control all of the "noise" is very much present.I guess the music manages to cover some of it up.I am going to try a portable cassette player and see if it is still present.In this present form,the rips are unusable.....Thanks for your time..............:)

I tried a Walkman and a cassette tape and the results were very good.I guess I have a major impedance mismatch.I can always just copy the LP's to cassettes,but it would be nice to just go direct.........:)

Back