newbie, in heed of help

solarchaos

Hi. I play in a punk/emo band and have been interested in recording for some time. I thought i knew what i was doing, but i was wrong. I was wondering if u guys could help me out. We have two vocalists, 2 guitarists, a bassiste, and a drummer. I was planning on using my computer to do some recording. I got a deal on a new behringer 1604 mixer (it has enough inputs for everything i need to record) basically i was just wondering what all i need to do for the best sound, was my purchase of the behringer mixer a wise one? i can still take it back, my band is getting together this weekend so i need some help fast, i was planning on micing everything and feeding it into the mixer and feeding it into the computer, i'm pretty sure i have the necessary cables, should i just put a microphone up to the guitar amps and feed that into the mixer? my bass amp has a ton of cool crap and it has an output which i was gonna send to the mixer, i was just wondering, what purpose to monitors serve? should i get some? what makes monitors different than regular speakers? does anyone have any really really useful links for newbies or just about recording? any book recommendations? thanx so much

firslty , you should probably start by reading the main site at http://www.homerecording.com .. read through the tutorials.. theres definitely something there about monitors , and if that doesnt wet your appetite use the search function of the BBS and type in "monitors" .. they should bring up lots of useful info..

your purchase of the behringer was a wise one if your happy with the sound you get with it because youll need preamps anyway..before we get too into detail though , knowing the specs of your computer will help us determine if its suitable enough for computer recording.. also , you need to take into the account of learning multitracking software on the pc.. youll be able to lay down a few tracks , but dont expect to master a full cd... also , your soundcard only has one input so you can only lay down one track at a time , unless you plan to just mic everything , set the levels on your mixer , and record live.. just some info to chew on..im sure youll get more advice.. welcome to homerecording.com..:)

- eddie -

Hey Eddie N, I thought you said you never contribute anything worthwhile (as posted in the Dragon's Cave)!
Your advice was excellent!
Peace!

Welcome, solarchaos,

Eddie has good advice there. I also recommend a couple of other websites:

PCRecording.com: http://www.pcrecording.com/
PC Music Guru: http://www.pc-music.com/
ProRec.com: http://www.prorec.com/

They are full of articles, reviews, all kinds of good information. Note that there's a lot of opinion out there, so don't be surprised to see diametrically opposite views sometimes. You'll definitely find people that say "Behringer mixers suck, buy Mackie," and others that say "Mackies suck, buy a Behringer."

Speaking of mixers, I have the same Behringer model that you mentioned. I'm quite happy with it. I've had it for almost four months and I don't hammer it too hard, but it does all I need. Maybe the Mackie 1402VLZ might be better, but it's more than twice the price.

-AlChuck

Emo is like an offshoot of punk that instead of being all rebellious and angry-like is more personal and "emo"tional. The music and vocals tend to be more dramatic. Some bands considered to be emo are the Promise Ring, the Get-Up Kids, etc. etc. There's kind of a backlash against it now, all the critics loved those bands like a year and a half ago, and are just now realizing that they are just kids who want to sound like Bryan Adams but still be considered "cool." Yeah.

thanx for all the advice everyone
just to respond to stuff, i have a nice computer, dell p3 550 256 mb ram, windows 2000 professional, its good trust me
does anyone have any recommendations for software i should look at, i actually have a friend who's going to help me with recording, he has sound forge, cakewalk 9, cool edit 2000, i have ntrack studio, anyone ever heard of these? are any of them good? i'm learning how to use them little by little, i'm pretty sure we'll be recording live, just micing everything and setting the mixer and pressing record, i think laying down tracks would be too complicated, we're not really that talented but we're getting there

Back