Newbie here with various questions

NTK88

Whats the best way to get a job at a recording studio? There is a studio near me that offers classes on recording, mixing etc. Its vocational training so I think it would be valid in most other studios right?

Are there actual degrees in producing, recording or mixing?

I hear recording on tape, especially guitar creates a better sound.
I have a 4 track tascam tape recorder. Will this create the same benefits as the 1/2 inch reel to reel tape?

I want to get into recording so that I can record up to 8 mics at once on to their own tracks so I can later mix and edit the drums correctly. What do you think I would need?

Maybe... just a bit of a lot of ground to cover in one shot-- career, life plan, eight vs 1/2", what to eat at lunch after shopping at the GigaGuitarMart... Any whoo.. Welcome to the dance. :)

can you clean toilets and answer phones, and schedule appointments?
will you accept $8 per hour as an acceptable wage?

then you can get hired by a studio :)

TragikRemix said:
can you clean toilets and answer phones, and schedule appointments?
will you accept $8 per hour as an acceptable wage?

then you can get hired by a studio :)

Ha ok well maybe as a temporary job, I am 17 so $8.00 and hr is 50 cents more than my current job :P

How does some one in general get trained to become a producer, mixing engineer, recording engineer etc?

you go out and do it.

formal training will be rediculously expensive. if you really want to do it as a career, there are colleges that are good, but once again, alot of money.

if you want to take courses and just recieve certifications, well, its still rediculous. they want like $10k to be a certified pro tools master in production or post production.

best thing to do, take a couple thousand and invest in a basic setup. just do it, learn as you go like all of us here. maybe try to get an internship at a studio, if you have one locally.

but they will definitley have you mopping and swabbin toilets in between sessions :)

i have it pretty good, i work in a music store. my boss is an old somewhat famous producer. he did some revolution shit with hip hop in the early 90's and mid to late 80's. pretty cool stuff, and i ask him alot of questions... but i hate his answers sometimes! its weird, cause he's a rock/jazz drummer, and he recorded alot of rappers, like salt n pepa, Nas and LL cool J..

ask alot of questions, but more importantly, just do it. even if you are recording johnny b goode and doing all the parts yourself, just do something. no better way to learn than hands on.

NTK88 said:
Whats the best way to get a job at a recording studio? There is a studio near me that offers classes on recording, mixing etc. Its vocational training so I think it would be valid in most other studios right?

Are there actual degrees in producing, recording or mixing?

I hear recording on tape, especially guitar creates a better sound.
I have a 4 track tascam tape recorder. Will this create the same benefits as the 1/2 inch reel to reel tape?

I want to get into recording so that I can record up to 8 mics at once on to their own tracks so I can later mix and edit the drums correctly. What do you think I would need?

1. Fill out an application
2. yes
3. yes, and licenses
4. depends on your skill level
8. 8 mics, 8 pre-amps, and 8-channels recorder

There are a lot of snake oil sellers in the area of recording training. Be wary. From the questions about cassette tape it sounds like you're just starting to get into recording.

If one is serious about looking at recording or performance as a career, it's good to be serious also about researching it. I'd say 20 hrs of online research would give you an understanding of what the situation is.

Use the search function here for "intern" "career" "job" etc.
Also search Gearslutz, rec.audio.pro newsgroup via google archive ProSoundWeb...

Back