Newbie here..microphone cable???

MAYHEM1

Hello newbie here. Hopefully this question is in the right place apoogies if it isnt. So I have a question that has probably been in threads before but this is a little more specific. I recently purchased a peavey tmp-1 pre (if i could get my hands on a vmp-2 i would be a happy boy) and a blueberry mic. Since the tmp-1 only includes 24 volt phantom power (what genius decided this ?) i am using a seperate 48 volt phantom power box. My question is, since i will be using cable from the mic to the phantom box then phantom box to pre and from the pre to my soundcard is there any sense in purchasing the blue mic cable?? Or do I just get all the same brand mic cable. If blue made diffrent sizes i would purchase all blue but they only make 20' lengths so it would be ridiculous to connect the phantom box on a 20' run to my pre, 1' or 2' makes more sense. Would it be advisable to get the 20' blue cable to connect to my phantom box and then appropriate sizes of another high quality cable for everything else in the chain. What im gettin at is will I benefit from using the blue cable first in the chain if the rest of the cables in the chain are a diffrent brand. F.Y.I I record mainly hiphop and My setup is as follows

blueberry condenser mic
peavey tmp-1 preamp
48 volt phantom power box
m-audio delta 44
cubase vst/32 and cubase 5

my old setup

mxl 1006 condenser mic
m audio Audio buddy
m audio delta 44
cubase vst/32

any advice is always appreciated.

Just buy decent quality XLR cables of whatever length is convenient for you. There are differences in cables, but they are relatively minor.

boudlerguy is right. Just remember, the cheaper the cable, the more likely it'll start failing and sounding crappy.

I know that there are plenty of opinions on this subject from one extreme to the other but for me, I go for what I believe is the best. I've got loads of Monster Cable Studio-Pro 1000 XLR's of all differing lengths. I've tried other cables of varying quality and while they do a basic job, I do notice a difference. They are bullet proof and you can't beat the warrantee either.

BTW, the way I acquired my collection has been slowly over time on e-Bay. There are deals to be had if you monitor frequently. Good luck!

I build mine out of Mogami and Neutrik connectors.

I order in bulk from redco.com

Quality cable is easy to make. ;)

It's usually not the cable but the connectors and how they attach to the cable that you'll have your major faults! ;)

:cool:

Back