newbie help wanted, surfed threads still not sure

willydoit

Hi all,
I am looking to create my own recordings of shadows type instrumentals using an existing pc but need to source an interface device. I played around with this some years ago but gave up quite quickly due to issues with latency (went direct from effects to soundcard line in). Am hoping that a few years on technology has blossomed to provide the right solutions for my needs.

I will be using a fender strat and a zoom 508 delay, although I have a fender blues deville amp I would prefer to record direct to the pc rather than micing as it will help keep the volume levels down (no neighbour complaints) and save on dragging out gear and putting it away after each session.

Although there is info relating to various usb and firewire devices around the forum technology moves so fast I thought a current perspective would help and also thought my music type might be important as I wont need all the heavy type sounds or vocals.

I will never need to record more than one instrument at a time and expect to use mp3 audio backing tracks, my idea being guitar into zoom delay and output from zoom delay into usb or firewire box to pc which will use a software package to allow me to import mp3 backing tracks and lay individual recordings on top ready for final mix.

Not too bothered about software choices at this stage, just need to know if I will get a good sound or if its possible to go from guitar into zoom 508 then into recording box and if so what recommendations there are for a recording interface box to sit between the guitar or zoom and the pc to facilitate latency free recording.

Not looking to spend a fortune and willing to purchase second hand from ebay or such if there are units that you can recommend which would suit my needs. At the moment I want to create a shortlist of interfaces to choose from which would best suit my needs.

Thanks in advance for any help provided, I have looked through the forum but lots of info is a couple of years old or the requirements are more advanced than my needs.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have been looking at the m-audio fast track pro which seems popular with folks, hadnt come across the presonus audiobox. Prices look comparable. Does anyone have any views on which is the better device?

Back