Newbie help, recording various instruments to my computer

arewethereyet

ok, quick and simple, i just purchased the samson mdr1064 mixer and the m-audio fast track usb device, to get the audio to my computer. i wanna record my guitar and some drums just with a mic in front of my amp, and another in front of the drums, basic i know but im a beginner. i've hooked everything up, put a mic on the first channel to test it out, played around. anyways, i used nero's wave editor just to record some basic sounds, and it barely shows up on the computer. should I be using other software? i connected the mixer to the fast track with 2 1/4" stereo to one 1/4". any good websites to help me maybe? thanks

well, actually, i'm not sure which knob does that. i have three EQ's, hi mid low, aux1 pre, aux2 post, pan, and the level itself for each of the channels. there's a gain knob too, and a low cut filter. sorry for these new questions, im not even exactly sure what a mic preamp is, except it boosts the kmic signal i think. so...which knob should i turn? lol thanks

The Gain knob is what you will use to attenuate the signal from the mic.
Set the level fader or knob at Unity or 0.

ok, i did this a few minutes ago, and even put my headphones to the mixer to see if i could hear it, and it's nice and loud. my problem seems to be somwhere between the fast track, and the computer. before i bought all this stuff, i used a standard computer mic, and it worked fine, nice and loud, through the sound card. so, the mixer is fine now, what could be the problem with the rest of my equipment? thanks in advance.

Back