Newbie condenser advice puhleaaase :)

She already has a keyboard - why are you dragging this on lol

You are quite right! Missed that in all the verbiage (mostly mine!)

Alexa, plug the Oxygen into the laptop* and it should work fine. The 2i2 will work but I cannot know how it will go for latency not having one.
I still stand by the premise that AI's should have MIDI ports since as I said, that setup would be a close system to another MIDI device.

*Laptops are often shy on the USB port count (another good reason for MIDI to stay DIN!). You can use a hub for the controller but don't plug an AI into one...Might work, often does not.

Dave.

First, note I am NOT a musician or one who records music! I am a radio guy who has recorded a dozen or so audiobooks and also done a nationally syndicated computer show in the past, and currently a weekly show for -of all things- the local branch of The Catholic Church! I did record and master one CD of a 2,000 pipe organ in a 26 million dollar church, but that is my only experience in that area.

I was impressed with the hardware manufacturer Tony Maserati's comment that, "if it sounds right, it IS right."

Happily, I have the upstairs of an 114 year old farmhouse with angled roof and soft wood floors that seem to magically deaden sound. But I also used side panels made of wood with carpet covering to further isolate the sound. (I am on 3 acres and surrounded by corn and soy fields, so it's usually pretty quiet out there!)

There used to be some pretty decent Russian mics in your part of the world, so you might want to try those, along with the other suggestions here.
I use everything from some nice ElectroVoice mics to Chinese knock-offs and even some the the "Blue" brand USB mics. The trick is to find the mic that you like and "it likes you." But I do agree that a condenser mic is better for your general needs. You may end up needing more than one.

Because of my basic vocal needs, I use Adobe Audition, which works well fixing some guests by using a "vocal presence" filter, etc.

I'm sure those with 30 years of music recording (as opposed to my 30 years of news and talk recording) may have different and perhaps better ideas.
But, in the end, if it sounds right, it is right.

Let's back up a bit. Dave's intentions are good, but I think he is muddying up your plans.

What you laid out as your plan in the first post is a good one. Get the 2i2, get the Oxygen 49, get the cheaper of the two mics, and get started. There is sooo much ahead of you to learn, you needn't worry about gear at this point. What you identified is good stuff and it will do what you want.

I do not think for one second that you need an interface with Midi so you can "future-proof" yourself. A waste of money. The USB connection is perfect and it will probably be the future for all Midi, anyway. If you stall out due to technical roadblocks, you will get frustrated and lose motivation to create music. If you worry about buying gear that you don't really need right now, you won't be able to afford the stuff you do need. It's a matter of compromise vs budget and you have to make intelligent decisions.

You got a good game plan in post #1, stick to it and go make music. Later, once you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your work flow, you can think about adding more equipment or room treatment.

Be sure to post up some of your work when you get a song done. Like I said, there is a lot to learn and many people here are willing to help you.

Good luck and have fun.

Exactly. I have several midi devices and all of them have USB. Midi interfaces are cheap so if you don't need it now then forget about it. Everything else you have planned is fine. Get it and start having fun!

It almost always works. I don't know what you have been trying.

Had to search for context...Hubs! I tried a Fast track pro a few years ago into a P4 via a hub and all went BSOD big time!
You will find many AI manuals suggest a direct connection to a USB port as the best regime. Indeed it is often best to have the AI as the only connection to a "pair".

You must know that "everything and nothing" works on computers all the time and never! We can only advise as OUR cake crumbles.

Dave.

Back