Newb Question about building panels.

punkrocker

Hey all. So I'm going to build some wood frames. Do I need to put glue on the inside of the frame to hold the material in place or do I just set the stuff in there? I am using mineral wool so it is not rigid like 703. If I do need glue what kind and where do I buy it? Thanks!

I did over 140 panels using mineral wool without glue.
The trick is to make the frames about an 1/8th inch (or a little more) narrower than the mineral wool width. ( mine were 23 7/8ths inside) and the force of the the panel against the inside of the wood holds it in place.

I cut the wood end pieces slightly undersized, like i said. I made sure if the wood was bowed, that I put the bow towards the inside. Then I wrapped the frames with the fabric barely taught. When the mineral wool was then shoved in from the backside it stretched the fabric tight and lodged itself from trying to fall out.

You can see how nice they turned out at tmixstudio dot com.
I've put up a ton more since those early pictures but you'll get the idea.

Cool! Awesome studio btw tmix. So you wrapped the frames with fabric before you put the wool in? How would you go about that? Thanks!

I bought a lot of burlap type material in a roll.
I cut the material to where it was long enough and wide enough to allow me to us an electric upholstery stapler to fasten it first along one long side along the inside edge, then pulling it slightly taut stapled it to the other long side on the inside edge starting at the middle and pulling gently toward the ends to pull any wrinkles out.
Then a did one short end and did some corner tucking like a Christmas present stapling all to th inside, then went to the other end pulling gently to make the material taut then stapling the end material to the inside.

Once that was done I forced the mineral wool inside to stretch the frame out.

if you are going to be moving the panels around much you can wrap the mineral wool in a light fabric to keep it from shedding before putting it in the frame, otherwise if it is going to be fixed, it wont matter.

Back