Newb q - micing guitar amp - necessary?

adrianhouse

Or is it possible to plug the amp into the recorder somehow (I know you can plug the guitar in - not asking about that at present) to still get the sound of the amp? I have a 60W amp with a high and low input. Thanks,
Adrian

Oh, and DON'T EVER run your speaker out into a recorder, unless you have great homeowners insurance and like fire.

If your amp has a "Line Out" then that may work, although you'll still want some kind of speaker cabinet emulation.

I've used this to run "direct" as well, but with questionable results:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHDI100

But, it's $35. You will also have to connect the speaker to put a load on your amp, otherwise there could be trouble.

Just remember your guitar amp is basically a boosting power supply, it takes a little bit of electricity in, and sends a whole bunch out. Your recording equipment will NOT like having lots of electricity coming in through it's inputs. :)

See what you can do with a mic, if the setup's available to you. I was inspired by the post below to try something much simpler -- just using the line out of my Weber Micromass (a small attenuator that goes between the amp head and the speaker cabinet) into a line-in. Sounded screenchee-awful, in my case -- maybe needs some more config on my part. I'll keep trying, because gonzo-x definitely is getting better results. For now, though, I'll keep using the mic.

It's the speakers

Hi,

Everyone talks about the tube sound and the clean sound but it's not the amp that makes the noise.

It's the speakers.

If you want to sound like an amp mic the speakers. Taking an amp output direct still won't sound like the speakers.

You can do this though with something like a Countryman direct box.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back