newb mixing

1manband

ok, so i got 8 tracks going into an ADAT clean, then im running them back to mixer for mixdown. my question is if you have a basic setup ie; drums, guitar, bass, vocals, and you wanna EQ the drums a certain way in the mix, then the vocals need Eq'ing, and you only have a single 31 band EQ, how do you do it? Do you need another EQ? Doe studios have multiple peices of gear for this very reason? There must be some basic way of using a single piece of gear on different tracks, with different settings, or is there? Or how about compressing the vocals for the mix, but also compressing the entire mix, again do i need two compressers? please tell me i dont need multiple rack components.

thank you stealth for the info, it is very valuable however, i still have a portion of the question unanswered. I understand that i can use several busses and pre/post fader, and aux sends to get the efect to many different places, and tracks, and channels. Now here is where i still have an issue; If i have an eq plugged into many places and different channels, no matter what i still can only set that eq one way, i cant change it for the vocals, or drums ads needed. This is of course if i mix all tracks at same time. I understand i can put less or more effect on different channels, but i cant set the effect differently for different tracks. i hope i make sense with this and someone can help me understand this dilema.

1manband said:
please tell me i dont need multiple rack components.
Unless you're using s/w to mix in, then yes, you either use EQ that is onboard each channel strip of your mixer, or you need multiple rack units...

If you're limiited in terms of gear then you're only other option is to actually record with the compression and/or EQ that you want, thus freeing up the units for use at mixdown.

I guess it's not the answer you're looking for but you shouldn't be needing that much EQ. You might want to think about trying to get the sound you want while tracking through mic choice and placement. The less EQ you use, the better off your mix will be in the end.

Thank you all for the info, it IS just what i was looking for. For the most part i try to deduce my question and figure it out ahead of time, then use this forum for verification. I figured i would either need multiple units for "real time" mixing, or try putting lite effect on a track as it is recorded . Either way you have all helped me greatly. thank you all. One more question real quick. can anyone recommend a cheap(100.00 bucks or so) mic preamp for a beginner. my board has phantom preamp on each channel, but i want the smoothe tube sound i hear so much about.

Like the Bear says...
software will do it if you don't mind the step inbetween....

a good editing software....I use CEP2 to track and apply effects to (post tracking...no real time...)

It works OK for me man but, I sure do wish I could track that way....it would save a lot of time in editing.......

a rack is on my wish list...........

my wish list is long.....and getting longer all the time......

good luck man,

Back