Newb here- Easy home recording solutions WITHOUT a computer.

Best idea of all - find someone who knows some of this stuff.

Other - if you don't have a computer, how are you reading and posting on this forum?
(for all I know it might be that skateboards are web-enabled nowadays. So I'm just asking 'cause I don't know.)

I do what all hard working Americans do with office jobs... Browse forums all day lol

The multi mic setup and the dr40 setup are examples of two opposing approaches.

The DR40 is basically a stereo recorder with the added bonus of having two extra inputs.
If you chose to do a plain and simple stereo recording of your group, you could record vocals with an external mic to make sure they carry well over the band.
The guts of the thing would just be as your ears hear it, though.

If you want to go multimic/mic per instrument, I'd be looking at some kind of portastudio/standalone or...a computer. (sorry)

So I could use the DR-40 and plug in a mic for vocals so its louder than the drums and guitar in the recording and the DR-40s built in mics could just record the drums and guitar at once?

So I could use the DR-40 and plug in a mic for vocals so its louder than the drums and guitar in the recording and the DR-40s built in mics could just record the drums and guitar at once?

I haven't done this myself but have read it in the user manual. The answer is yes. The built-in mics will record everything in the room so you might get some vocal bleed. The DR-40 has controls to let you set the recording volume of the channels which would take some experimentation to get figured out since you aren't going to be having someone monitor and adjust the levels on the fly. On recording it will capture what amounts to 4 tracks ( L & R internal mics plus Left external and right external - which would be empty) It has a feature where you can then 'mixdown' the 4 tracks under volume and panning control on a screen down to stereo L & R.

Again, I haven't done this but the manual says that's how it works.

My experience has been with using external mics thru a mixer and going into the external connections on the DR-40. I have recorded voice and guitar and then used the overdub capability to hear my first voice and guitar track in headphones and then sing or play into the external mics and make either a combined track (2+1) or make a separate track of the 3rd input to take to Reaper and mix later. The mix later option gives me more control over levels of the different parts in the finished product.

Can't seem to edit my prior post so -

I actually did the combined overdub and got pretty good results doing up to 4 additional tracks on top of the initial guitar & voice. (I added 12 string parts and vocal harmony to each Left and Right - 4 more tracks)
But getting the levels right was tricky which drove me to trying out Reaper.

I haven't done this myself but have read it in the user manual. The answer is yes. The built-in mics will record everything in the room so you might get some vocal bleed. The DR-40 has controls to let you set the recording volume of the channels which would take some experimentation to get figured out since you aren't going to be having someone monitor and adjust the levels on the fly. On recording it will capture what amounts to 4 tracks ( L & R internal mics plus Left external and right external - which would be empty) It has a feature where you can then 'mixdown' the 4 tracks under volume and panning control on a screen down to stereo L & R.

Again, I haven't done this but the manual says that's how it works.

My experience has been with using external mics thru a mixer and going into the external connections on the DR-40. I have recorded voice and guitar and then used the overdub capability to hear my first voice and guitar track in headphones and then sing or play into the external mics and make either a combined track (2+1) or make a separate track of the 3rd input to take to Reaper and mix later. The mix later option gives me more control over levels of the different parts in the finished product.

To be honest all the "mixdown" and recording talk means nothing to me lol. You'd have to explain like im 5. I know ZERO and I mean NOTHING about recording including terminology lol. That's why im here lol .

Basically what I got is yes you can do that but need to mess around with the knobs to figure out how to not get the vocals in the recording of the guitar and drums so all you hear is the guitar and drums but at the same time also be recording the vocals but through the external line lol.

Basically what I got is yes you can do that but need to mess around with the knobs to figure out how to not get the vocals in the recording of the guitar and drums so all you hear is the guitar and drums but at the same time also be recording the vocals but through the external line lol.

Pretty much correct as long as your vocal mic requires you to be close to it to get sound in (such as a dynamic mic like you see on stage acts).

I had to ponder on the meaning of 'mixdown' myself.

What it means is that doing the recording the way I described results in two recordings stored on the SD chip in the DR-40. One for the internal mics (drum and guitar) and one for voice thru the external mic.

'mixdown' means combining the two so that they turn into one recording. During that process you can control the volume and L-R positions of the elements so that you get something like what you intended with the needed volume balance.

It might let you do the mixdown many times in order to get the desired result but I'm not sure about that since I haven't done it. (75% chance this is correct - it would be a design failure if they didn't)

(BTW- the DR-40 doesn't have any knobs. Controlling the recording levels is done on a combo of screen and up/down keys. The functions are in there but for compactness sake aren't as easy to use as a control board of knobs or sliders.)

Last edited:
Another thing to consider on the DR-40 approach is that the DR-40 stores the music recorded in a file on a chip.
The file is either .mp3 or .wav format.
To get the file out of the DR-40 you either connect the DR-40 to a computer using the supplied USB cable.
Or you remove the SD chip from the DR-40 and take it to a computer with an SD chip slot. (two of the computers we have at home have these slots right up top and front of the deskside box)

How do you plan to listen to your recorded music? CD? There still needs to be a computer/CD burner step in there somewhere.

(DR-40 has a miniature headphone output jack so you can listen to that anyway.)

Last edited:
If you want easy just record what it sounds like in the room. Anything beyond that doesn't qualify as easy, especially for someone claiming no knowledge of recording. If you want a good recording it's going to cost you some combination of money, time, stress, effort etc. There is no shortcut.

Pretty much correct as long as your vocal mic requires you to be close to it to get sound in (such as a dynamic mic like you see on stage acts).

I had to ponder on the mean of 'mixdown' myself.

What it means is that doing the recording the way I described results in two recordings stored on the SD chip in the DR-40. One for the internal mics (drum and guitar) and one for voice thru the external mic.

'mixdown' means combining the two so that they turn into one recording. During that process you can control the volume and L-R positions of the elements so that you get something like what you intended with the needed volume balance.

It might let you do the mixdown many times in order to get the desired result but I'm not sure about that since I haven't done it. (75% chance this is correct - it would be a design failure if they didn't)

(BTW- the DR-40 doesn't have any knobs. Controlling the recording levels is done on a combo of screen and up/down keys. The functions are in there but for compactness sake aren't as easy to use as a control board of knobs or sliders.)

Well I know a computer has to be involved at some point. I can take it to my folks home because luckily they have a computer and the internet and only live 10 minutes away. I cant believe 10 minutes separates me from having internet in 2015 but it does. I guess the DR-40 sounds like might best bet.

For vocals, would I plug my mic into a pa system and then the pa to the DR-40? Because if I plug my vocal mic directly into the DR-40 then I wouldn't be able to hear myself sing over the drums and guitar lol.

Well I know a computer has to be involved at some point. I can take it to my folks home because luckily they have a computer and the internet and only live 10 minutes away. I cant believe 10 minutes separates me from having internet in 2015 but it does. I guess the DR-40 sounds like might best bet.

For vocals, would I plug my mic into a pa system and then the pa to the DR-40? Because if I plug my vocal mic directly into the DR-40 then I wouldn't be able to hear myself sing over the drums and guitar lol.

Don't interpret my discussion of the DR-40 as saying it's the best solution for you. Zoom makes portable recorders that people like too. I'm only answering from my limited experience.

You haven't described your band's setup. If you normally sing thru a PA then just recording the room would probably be just fine.

Recording vocals thru a mic into the DR-40 in the presence of (amped?) guitar and drums --- well, there is some monitoring output from the DR-40 that can go to headphones but it isn't very loud.

As several have stated- it's really not easy at all is it?

Don't interpret my discussion of the DR-40 as saying it's the best solution for you. Zoom makes portable recorders that people like too. I'm only answering from my limited experience.

You haven't described your band's setup. If you normally sing thru a PA then just recording the room would probably be just fine.

Recording vocals thru a mic into the DR-40 in the presence of (amped?) guitar and drums --- well, there is some monitoring output from the DR-40 that can go to headphones but it isn't very loud.

As several have stated- it's really not easy at all is it?

No it is not lol. I do not have a pa system was just thinking and typing.

We have our drum set just your basic set. I have a fender blues Jr. Amp for my guitar and sing into a cheap mic and got that plugged into a little 10'' amp lol. I know its not the best but it works and works well for the sound we are going for. I was considering some small pa system for the future but that's going to be a whole beast to learn and tackle lol.

While Mark was threading tape I was still too shy to play guitar for anyone and besides, I was drooling over the ham radio section in the Lafayette catalog. (but I wouldn't buy the 5 band CW/SSB 180watt transceiver kit - which I still have and which still works - for a few years yet)

In the old days we just made a good guess and leaped into it - whatever it was, because we couldn't ask the internet.

Seems like the DR-40 and it's kin are the modern leap into recording. (but we geezers know how much better they are than what we thought was really great at the time)

While Mark was threading tape I was still too shy to play guitar for anyone and besides, I was drooling over the ham radio section in the Lafayette catalog. (but I wouldn't buy the 5 band CW/SSB 180watt transceiver kit - which I still have and which still works - for a few years yet)

In the old days we just made a good guess and leaped into it - whatever it was, because we couldn't ask the internet.

Seems like the DR-40 and it's kin are the modern leap into recording. (but we geezers know how much better they are than what we thought was really great at the time)

Is the Tascam DP-004 the same theory of the DR-40? Built in mics and two lines in? Or I guess the DP-006 because I guess the DP-004 isn't in production anymore.

A quick look at the specs suggest that the 006 has Omni-mics instead of directional ones (might pick up more of the room) and has 1/4 inch high-impedance mic inputs rather than the XLR/TRS/XLR with phantom power of the DR-40. This means the 004 needs adapters to use an assortment of microphones. ('phantom power' is something that some types of mics require in order to work. They need power from something besides the sound hitting them.)

It does seem to have the 'mixdown' feature. It also has some knobs which might be helpful from a tactile standpoint.

It might do what you want. Would be best if you could see and try them side-by-side.

I think the Zoom R16 is an interesting one... 8 inputs, records wav files to SD so can be transferred easily to any DAW or can be mixed in the box. Can be used as an audio interface with the computer should you want to or as a control surface for your DAW.

if I were wanting to record 'jams' I'd be looking at it!
As it is I use Maschine so computer is essential but if I were to switch to an older MPC (which I often consider) setup I reckon this would solve more than a few 'tracking out' issues!

Use your phone, or learn something about recording.

There's a difference between saying "I don't know" and "I don't want to know".

If you're of the former mindset, you can do what the rest of us have done and learn - probably one of the better multitrack recorders suggested will be fine for you. You don't actually know what you will want to do yet, because you haven't done any of it, so don't limit yourself too much before you even start by buying the wrong gear.

If you're saying "I don't want to know" - then find the best spot in the room for your iPhone and go away - come back when you want to actually learn to record.

PS - you don't need the internet to record. Especially if you can download stuff from work.

Use your phone, or learn something about recording.

There's a difference between saying "I don't know" and "I don't want to know".

If you're of the former mindset, you can do what the rest of us have done and learn - probably one of the better multitrack recorders suggested will be fine for you. You don't actually know what you will want to do yet, because you haven't done any of it, so don't limit yourself too much before you even start by buying the wrong gear.

If you're saying "I don't want to know" - then find the best spot in the room for your iPhone and go away - come back when you want to actually learn to record.

PS - you don't need the internet to record. Especially if you can download stuff from work.

No I want to learn. but I have to start somewhere that's why im trying to find the simplest way to start and then go from there. Once I master the DP-006 or DR-40 or whatever I decide to get then I can keep learning from there.

Take this for what it's worth...a personal opinion.
If you plan to buy a $180 DR-40, why not spend the extra $70 and get a PreSonus bundle or something similar? Then there's no need for a re-learn later.

Back